Pass Me By

"Everywhere I look and everywhere I go, a million other guys keep staring and I know that I could be yours, and you could be mine. I just can't let you pass me by," (R5, Pass Me By).

Riker's POV - Day IV

I woke up before anyone else. Sitting up in my bed and I rubbed my eyes with a yawn. I looked around and saw Scarlet wasn't in bed. It seemed she had done her bed and left. I stood up and walked out of the room. When I walked into the living room I saw Scarlet. She was siting outside on the beach.

I grabbed my jacket and went out to greet her. I came close and sat next to her. She looked over and gave me a sleepy smile.

"Morning," I yawned. "What time is it?" I asked.

She looked over and showed me her watch. It was 5:47 am. My eyes widened.

"Jeez why are you up so early?" I asked.

She thought for a moment then looked my way. "I couldn't sleep," she shrugged.

"Is this about what happened yesterday?" I wondered.

She sighed. "Was I wrong to do what I did?" she asked in a sad tone.

I came closer and put my arm around her and she rested her head on my chest. "I don't know. What if I'm the bad person," I breathed.

"You aren't a bad person Riker. Can I be honest with you?" she asked.

I nodded.

"When I was away at college every once in a while a guy would ask me out. I always said no. The reason I always said no was because I was scared of falling in love," she began. "The reason I was scared was because I didn't want to feel that way about anyone other than you."

She was like me. I stayed quiet and let her continue.

"Then I saw your band become famous and I honestly thought you wouldn't come back to me. Sure it made me a little sad but at the same time I felt happy for you. So the next time someone asked me out I said yes," she admitted.

"So you had a boyfriend?" I asked her.

"Yeah. He was great but the thing is, he wasn't you," she looked up and smiled. "I thought when I saw you sparks would fly. Why haven't they?"

I thought for a moment, "Are you letting them?"

"I want to," she said.

"So why don't you?"

"I don't know, maybe I'm scared." As she finished my heart sank. It was my fault. She was scared to kiss me because she was scared to lose me again.

I said no more and pulled her close. I kissed her forehead and just held her. "There's no need to be scared. I'm here now," I promised.

We sat there together and just looked into the distance. She must have fallen asleep because her eyes were closed and she felt slightly heavier. I wanted to tell her how much I loved and missed her but something told me that was a bad idea.

I couldn't promise I would stay because I knew I would only be lying. Was the right thing to simply just let her go? And if I did, what would I say to her?

Thinking about it made me want to cry. My Scarlet was breaking because of me and as much as I wanted to fix her I didn't know how.

I knew letting her go would solve the problem but not only would her heart break, mine would too. I also couldn't ask her to wait, that wasn't any fair for her.

"What are you thinking about?" Scarlet wondered. I looked down and smiled at her.

"Just thinking about you," I flirted. She smiled and stood up.