Ch. 2 | Camp Campbell Wants YOU

- You arrived at your house and pulled your keys out of the side pocket of your bag. You walked over to the front door and stuck your keys into the keyhole. You unlocked the door, stepped inside, and locked it again. "Y/N?" You heard a familiar voice call. "Yeah, I'm home, mom" You called back. "Good! Come here, will you?" You sighed and dropped your bag at the foot of the stairs. "Coming!" You replied, walking up to your parents' room, where you assumed your mom was. Your mom was sitting up on her bed, remote in one hand and a glass of beer in the other. 

"Take a seat" She pointed at the ground. You blinked and sat down curiously "What's up?" You asked. Your mother took a swig of the beer and set the glass down on the nightstand beside her with a throaty exhale, then she folded her arms "Y/N, I know you've been wanting to go to Camp Campbell this summer" She began. You instantly leaned forward. "But I think it's important to note that you've never been alone anywhere." You groaned and leaned back. "Mom, we've been over this. I'm totally fine on my own," You stuffed your hands in your pockets. "I've been to sleepovers, study sessions, and tutoring, like, fifteen-million times." Your mom nodded, agreeing. "Well, that's true." She looked at you distantly "..But you're going to be in the middle of the woods. No WiFi, no way of communication."  You sighed, pulled a hand out of your pocket, and ruffled your hair. She has a point, how do I argue against it?  You thought, mentally sorting through possible options. When you stayed silent, she looked out the window on the wall beside her. "But- I spoke with one of the head counselors, and he agreed to keep a good eye on you." 

Your eyes widened "I'm actually going?" You asked, leaning forward hopefully as you waited for your mother to reply. She nodded "The bus is going to pick you up tomorrow, I think," She said, looking at her phone. "This took a lot of planning, so don't do anything drastic." She looked back at you. You jumped to your feet and wrapped your arms around her, bouncing with excitement. "Thank you! Thank you so much! I promise you won't regret this!" Your mother padded your back gently, rolling her eyes. "Just go pack. You're going to be there for the entire summer."

  "Okay! Love ya, mom!" You let her go and sprinted to your room. Closing and locking the door behind. Then, you ran over to your closet and pulled out a bag that was seemingly bigger than the one you currently had. You sorted, tossed, and stuffed clothes until your hands ached. By the time you finished, the sky was a dark shade of blue and your room was littered with an array of different clothes. You flexed your fingers with a sigh and looked at your bag. You had decided that you could reuse some clothes since there was apparently a lake that you could wash them in, and it would save you the hassle of having to bring out more than one bag. Your mom knocked on your door and you shot to your feet and opened it for her in a heartbeat. "What are you doing?" She asked, looking over your shoulder. "Just packing" You reassured her softly. "It looks like a tornado just hit your room" She commented with a chuckle. You folded your arms "I know you didn't come to check on me. What is it?" You asked curiously. "Well, your dinner has been sitting on the table forever and I was wondering if you were going to eat it anytime soon."

You blinked "Oh, dinner. Yeah, I'm gonna go eat it right now, sorry." You flicked the light switch and walked past her, your stomach still churning at the very thought of attending Camp Campbell. You walked down the stairs slowly so you could have time to think about all the activities you would do, and all the new friends you would make. You entered the kitchen and looked at the dinner table. Soup and bread? Not bad. You slid into a chair, took the bowl of soup, and started drinking from it. Camp Campbell. Tomorrow. You smiled happily around the bowl. -