Ch. 7 | Burial And A Woodscout

- Even though it was summer, the morning breeze felt chilly on your skin. You looked at Max for comfort, but he was focused on rowing the boat and obviously wasn't looking back. You decided to be honest. "Max, I'm kinda scared," You muttered. Max responded with a long, loud laugh. 

"Of what?" He asked, continuing to paddle but looking at you. "Of what we're gonna face." You pointed at the island "And that place looks like a drug trafficking site." He shrugged and dropped the paddles once the boat was near the shore. Max dropped an anchor that was literally just a bucket full of rocks, and stood up. "The woodscouts are weaklings. Every single one of them."

You let out a sigh that clearly outed that you were unconvinced and anxious. Max grabbed your shoulders and locked eyes with you. "Y/N. You are going to be fine," he insisted. "No woodscout is going to lay a hand on you while I'm with you." You slid your hands over his. "Promise?" Max was about to respond, but he noticed what was happening beforehand. He instantly pulled away and averted his eyes "I don't know. But it's not like I'd give a fuck if they did touch you. In case that wasn't obvious enough." You rolled your eyes "I'll take your word for it, but I swear to god-"

You held up your fist in his face. "If I die, I'm haunting you. Through and through." He was about to laugh but he quickly cleared his throat before he could. "Alright, get off." He pointed at the shoreline. You wailed "But Max, I'll get wet. You know I'm short," You said, pouting. He grumbled something you weren't able to hear before grabbing you by the waist, reaching out over the boat, and dropping you on the shore. "Making this so damn awkward, and for what?" He slid over the edge of the boat and pushed onto the shore. "Let's go, they're morning people."

You instinctively lowered your voice "So we gotta be quiet?" You asked. He nodded, then froze and turned around to give you a cold glare. "No shit, just shut up the rest of the way and we'll be fine." His tone sounded forced. You stumbled into silence and looked guiltily at the back of his shoes as you walked silently through the trees. But you couldn't shake his tone. And how it sounded so forced. Maybe he was trying not to be soft on you? Ugh, of course that was it.

You couldn't believe how scatterbrained you've been. Max was clearly warming up to you, but didn't want to admit it. You looked at the back of his head wistfully. Maybe Max wasn't the "cynical rebel" he had claimed to be. The thoughts didn't leave your mind once you had arrived at a giant building that was seemingly inspired by a tent. The two, rather big, and open flaps that acted as an entrance were leaking light into the crisp morning. Lights on giant, watchtower like stands moved back and forth, lighting up the deep dawn sky. More tents surrounded the building, and the premise was shielded by large walls with barbed wire on top.

"These people are weaklings?" You asked shakily. "Don't let their camp fool you," Max snorted. You shuddered and let out a sigh of relief. If Max was certain, you were certain. "Alright, come on." He grabbed your arm and dragged you along the side of the building. "Game plan. You distract them and I find the map." You raised your eyebrows "So basically, I'm the sacrifice."

"Exactly," Max replied. You squinted lightly "And if I refuse?" "I'll end your fucking life." You rolled your eyes and sighed. "Anyways, why do you need a map?" You continued. "If this thing is important, shouldn't you know where it is?" Max stuffed his hands in his pockets "You're a dumb-ass," he snorted. "It's buried somewhere around here, I just don't know where." You sighed and looked around the corner cautiously. "So, when do I.. y'know, move in?" You asked.

Max shrugged "I dunno. You're the distraction," he said. You snapped your head around and gave him a look. "Yeah, but this is your plan." Max looked at you for a second, as if he was trying to come up with a snarky response, but he sighed and averted his eyes. "Now, if you want." -