Ch. 11 | "Date" Day

A/N: Max knows how to swim now, not that its is relevant or anything.. 

- You sat up in your new mattress. It was comfortable and all, but you had gotten used to the sleeping bag. And a bare mattress on a cold July morning? You looked over at Max, who was snoring lightly. You honestly found it a bit cute. Three days since the discovery of his "newfound" softness. And he seemed to have lightened up a bit. At least to you. 

You saw something move out of the corner of your eye, and you looked outside. Nothing. "Hello?" You whisper-shouted, careful not to wake up Max. But apparently, whoever was outside wasn't. Because they shot inside the tent and started bouncing around. "Max! Y/N! Max! Y/N!" You heard Nikki's familiar voice shout. "I'm awake, i'm awake! What's wrong?" You whisper-shouted again, grabbing her wrist.

"Well, Neil and I were talking and we decided to bring you and Max together!" She said, rather loudly. "W-why would you need to do that?" You heard Max stammer from beside you two. "Dam.. Dang it, Nikki!" You hissed, letting her go and slapping your forehead. "Because it's obvious that you two like each other!" She grabbed Max and dragged him out of bed. "C'mon, get dressed! We have an entire day wiped clean of boring stuff!"

You dug in your bag for your watch and checked the date and time. Saturday, 4:28 AM. "Nikki, it's four in the morning." You rose your watch and tapped the screen. "So? Love never sleeps!" She said heroically. "Your relaxing day starts at 4:30 and if you aren't dressed, I'll scream my head off for the whole day." Max, who was strangely quiet now, grabbed his hoodie and pulled it over his shirt. 

"Get dressed," he said, avoiding eye-contact and walking out of the tent. You quickly pulled on a gray sweater over your shirt, and didn't bother changing out of your checkered F/C and black pajama pants. You slid on your F/C slides, grabbed two chewy bars out of your bag, and ran out after Max. Outside, Nikki and Max were arguing. Only Max was doing more of the arguing and Nikki was just replying as smugly as she could.

Even though it was slightly dark out, you could tell that his face was red. "I'm here!" You announced, rushing over to them. Nikki looked at you "Y/N! Max just conf-" She began. Max elbowed her in the rib cage before she could finish. "Shut up, Nikki." You giggled. "You can tell me later, when he's not around." Nikki's eyes lit up, she looked at Max, then at you. "Alright!"

"Let's just get on with this stupid thing, I'm not trying to freeze to death here." Max rolled his eyes and stuffed his hands in his pockets. You nodded in agreement. "Alright-" Nikki paused to look around. "-NEIL, WE'RE READY." Nothing happened for a moment, then the door to the Mess Hall opened, and Neil walked out. "Jesus, why do you have to scream?" He asked sluggishly.

"Because why not, just c'mon. Did you get the bow tie?" Nikki replied. Max held up his hands "Excuse me? I have to wear a tie to go on a date?" He snapped. "You admitted it was a date, finally!" Nikki hopped around him. "Because you keep on calling it one!" You tugged his sleeve, "Shh, it's not that big a deal." He sighed and tipped his head. "I have to wear a bow tie?" He repeated quietly.

"You gotta look snazzy?" You guessed, shrugging. Nikki nodded while Neil snapped the bow tie over Max's hoodie. "Well, you don't look half bad," you commented, adjusting it. He grabbed your wrists and stared at you, face flushed. "Don't, not here." Nikki and Neil looked at each other, then at you. "Should Y/N wear something nice, too?" Neil wondered out loud. Nikki nodded "Yeah.. yeah!" She grabbed your hand. 

- Time skip hehe -

Max's POV (A/N: It's gonna be a little short):