Ch. 10 | Food Force

Quick A/N: Nerris' pronouns are "they, them" until I'm sure that I should change them.

 Back to Y/N's POV. Third person ig?

- You yawned and rubbed your eyes, not bothering to sit up. You turned your gaze over to Max's bed. He was squeezing into his hoodie, grunting with the effort. You sighed, after your adventure three days ago, you couldn't help but like him. He talked to everyone with such disdain, but he spoke to you like an equal. And he acted like you actually mattered. It was flattering. 

Max finally pulled it over his head and exhaled, and you turned over. "Are you gonna stay here all day?" He asked sarcastically. "Obviously not," you snorted. You heard his bed creak as he slid off of it. "Do I have to shake you awake again?" He asked, cracking his knuckles. "Max, if you touch me I will personally break your arms." He scoffed and started shaking you vigorously. You yelped and slithered out of your sleeping bag.

"Up?" He asked, crouching down and staring at you intently. "Yes, yes I am," you muttered. "Alright, get dressed and meet us at-" He began. "-The mess hall, already know the drill." You stood up and started sorting through your bag. Max just crouched there like an idiot for a moment, staring at you with an unreadable expression before sighing, getting up, and leaving.

You tossed aside, then put on a sandy F/C short sleeved shirt and black leggings. "Hm, not the best, but it'll work." You grabbed a brush and brushed your hair, then tied it into a ponytail. Bleh. You dug through your bag and pulled out a chewy bar, unwrapped it, took a bite, and walked out of the tent. Nobody was outside, they were probably already at the Mess Hall, you guessed, walking over.

Inside, the tables were flipped and there was food everywhere. The campers were all hurling food at each other. Max and Neil were sitting behind an overturned table. You stared at the chaos for a second before running over to them and slumping down beside Neil. "What's going on?" You asked, peeking over the top of the table. Max stared at his mug and shook it before taking a sip. "All hell has officially broken loose, is what" Neil replied, peeking over the top with you.

"All hell has been loose," Max snorted, wiping his mouth. You glanced at him and giggled lightly, then looked back to study the chaos. Out of the corner of your eye, you saw Max staring at you. "Wait, where's Nikki?" You asked suddenly. You and Nikki had become friends over the past week. "She said she was going to get bees or something," Neil answered. A hint of doubt in his voice.

You sighed, knowing she meant it, but not bothering to point it out. Another bewildering question popped into your mind "How-" You began. Max took a very loud sip of coffee to interrupt. He pointed his mug at Nerris, who was hiding under a table at the very edge of the room. "Wizard kid dropped mashed potatoes on Nurf," he said, snorting with amusement. You rolled your eyes. "I'm gonna go save them." Max raised his eyebrows. "You're kidding."

"You would actually go out there and get your ass kicked for some lower class?" He asked. You shrugged "I dunno, but they look like they could use some help." Neil was looking at Nerris, who looked anxious but relatively alright. "They look fine" he reported. You rolled your eyes, "Also, I could use the hiding place, if Nikki gets her hands on those bees, she's gonna bring them."

Neil's eyes widened "Oh hell no!" He jumped over the table, ran across the room, and dove into place beside Nerris. They let out a sigh of relief and started talking to him. "You gonna stay here?" You asked, turning to Max. He nodded absently and took another sip of coffee. "Well! Max is feeling a little dangerous today." Max literally stared into your soul for like three minutes. 

"I don't know about you, but I refuse to die at 16." You peeked over the top of the table, but just as you were about to make a run for it, the door slammed open. "I got the bees!" Nikki announced, everyone stopped and stared at her. "Damn it, Nikki! You actually brought bees?!" Max shouted from beside you. "I'm a woman of my word," she said, shaking the beehive she was carrying. Everyone started freaking out as the bees flew out. Nikki threw the hive up and kicked it across the room. 

It landed on the ground and burst open. "Release the hounds!" She yelled, diving under the table with Neil and Nerris. Max grabbed you by the arm and ran over to a table that wasn't overturned. (Also, it's right next to the door.) He pushed you under it and slid in next to you. "Damn it, damn it. We're fucked." You stared at him while rubbing your arm "Not afraid of bees, are we?" You asked. "Hell no! We did this like fifty summers ago." You rolled your eyes and trembled, you were just scared of getting stung.

A bee flew into your ear and stung it once (I know this specific thing probably didn't happen to you, but it happened to me. And it hurt like hell, so now I'm forcing it onto you. Mwahaha), and you were now paranoid of them. Max must've noticed the shaking, because he scoffed and looked sideways. "But it sure does seem like you are." You folded your arms "Well, I don't know about you. But getting stung in my ear really scarred me." 

You grabbed his hood and dragged him in front of you. (Because I really need to start the physical stuff.)"You're my shield now, and I swear to god. If I get stung, I will kill you," you said, wrapping your arms around his chest. You felt him getting warm, but he didn't do anything. 15 minutes eventually past. The bees were still flying around and the campers were still screaming their butts off. Suddenly, the door slammed open. "What the fuck?!" Gwen's voice sounded. 

You let Max go, crawled out from under the table, and ran outside. "Still safe, thank the heavens," you said, patting yourself down. Max walked out behind you, his hands stuffed in his pockets. He stared at his feet. Gwen shut the door and stared at you and Max. "I need answers, Max, and I need them NOW." He looked up at her, and you expected him not to say anything, but he did. 

"Nerris dropped some mashed potatoes on Nurf and everyone started fighting. Then Nikki brought bees and shit went down." Gwen rubbed her temples "I need a break." You turned to Max when she walked into the counselors cabin. "What happened to not snitching?" You asked. A couple of days ago, Max had said that he would never snitch. He froze and stared at you blankly for a bit "I.. don't know." 

You squealed and ran around him "You've gone soft!" You announced. He grabbed your arm and stared at you "I have not."

"Really?" You ruffled his hair with your free hand. Usually when you did that, he would slap your hand away. But now he just rolled his eyes and let you go. "See? You've gone soft!" Max stuffed his hands in his pockets and walked past you without saying anything. "Yeah, see you!" -