Ch. 30 | I Will Never

- You woke up in gloomy mood. Max was fast asleep and comfortably spoon-cuddling you, muttering under his breath. I wonder what he's dreaming about. You rolled over to face him and muzzled your face into his chest. Poor Max, I wonder if he'll be alright. He slid his hands underneath your arms and pulled you closer to him. "Morning," he said sluggishly.

"Hey," you responded dryly. "Wanna hang out with me today?" He asked. You sighed. "I don't know." An air-horn sounded outside, making you and Max jump. Right off his bed. "Ugh, fucking David.. Why is he blowing that annoying ass horn so early?" He complained, standing up slowly. You got to your feet and picked up your bag, setting it on the corner of the bed. 

Max wrapped his arms around your waist and blew a raspberry on your neck. You hummed and dropped the bag onto the floor. I'll just go in pajamas. His arms were glued around your waist, making it a struggle to walk around the tent. You didn't mind, though. It was your last day. This was expected. "Y/N.. Do you have to go?" He asked, face still buried in the crook of your neck.

"I do," you responded. I'm too attached to him.  "Are you sure?" Every word sounded forced. He was struggling to speak "..Yeah." He released you and dove onto his bed, forcing the blanket up over his head and collapsing. "Max.. I'm sorry. It's.. it's not my fault she found out about Campbell." He huffed silently. "Max, look at me." The blanket sneaked down, exposing his eyes.

"I'm sorry," you said, making direct eye-contact with him. He stayed silent. "I'll visit when I can." The life in his eyes died down slightly. His hair moved sideways smoothly as he reached out and grabbed his hoodie from the hanger next to his bed. He stared at it longingly before throwing it at your face. You flinched and looked at it. "Why are you-" You began, confused.

"Keep it," he said. His eyes locked onto everything but yours. "I have an extra." Your cheeks flushed. He's giving me his hoodie  . Am I dreaming?  You stared at it silently for a moment before pulling it on over your head. "Th-thanks," you stammered. He reached under his bed and pulled out another identical hoodie. "Lets go see what David wants," Max said, standing up off the bed.

He walked out of the tent and you trailed behind him nervously. The sky was darkened with rainclouds, matching the eerie mood. The other campers were already gathered outside the Counselors Cabin. Nikki was missing. You slid in beside Neil. "Did I miss anything?" You asked quietly. Neil leaned sideways. "No, he said he was waiting for you." You swallowed gingerly and looked at David. He was staring at you thoughtfully, smiling.

"Alright, campers. I have an announcement to make," he began. Max's hand brushed against yours. What was he trying to do? "Today, Y/N is going home." The moment he said those words, the campers all started speaking at once. "Why is she leaving?!" Neil asked from beside you, teeth clenched together tightly. "She's the only decent person in this hell hole," Nurf hissed. 

Dolph and Space Kid stared at you with the biggest puppy eyes, while Nerris was whispering something in Harrisons ear. Ered was just frowning and Preston was staring at David with a troubled expression on his face. Even Gwen was dejected "..I'm flattered," you chuckled, heating up with slight embarrassment. Your hands went up to your cheeks. They really care. 

"Don't forget to give her a proper farewell," he said. Everyone whipped around and looked at you. You were instantly showered with goodbyes and compliments. "Th-thank you, guys" you said happily. Today.. today, you felt like the most important person in Camp Campbell. Max narrowed his eyes and brushed against you. His arm slowly snaked around your shoulders.