Ch. 23 | You're The Reason

- "Nice work out there," Ered praised as she walked past you. "Thanks, Ered." You walked over to the Mess Hall and sighed before plopping onto the grassy floor, exhausted. "Tired?" Harrison's familiar voice sounded beside you. "A bit, all that dodging and throwing has me sore," you responded. "It has all of us sore," he snorted, collapsing beside you. You watched the darkening sky awkwardly.

"So, feeling better?" He asked carefully. "I guess," you responded, fiddling with your fingers. Nope, here it comes. Your eyes stung, tears threatening to fall. Not again.. You swallowed and stood up. "I think I'm gonna go to bed." Harrison sat up and blinked. "Good night," you walked over to your tent. His gaze burned the back of your head. Max was already cuddled up in bed, nuzzling his pillow.

You changed into a black short-sleeved shirt and flannel pajama pants, then climbed over Max and laid down, pulling your blanket over you. Max hummed and ditched his pillow, instantly cuddling up to against you instead. Awe, you turned around and nuzzled your face into his chest. A sudden wave of exhaustion combined with the body heat you and Max were sharing knocked you out instantaneously.

- Time skip - 

You woke up at noon. Max wasn't in front of you. "Eh," you climbed out of bed and dug through your bag, pulling a cereal bar out and taking a giant bite out of it. You honestly weren't feeling mashed potatoes. With an unmotivated yawn, you walked over to the Mess Hall and opened the door, peeking inside. It was empty. You walked around curiously until you found them gathered at the dock, swimming around.

You walked up to Max, who was slumped against a wooden pole wearing sunglasses. "Max?" You asked, poking the top of his head. He looked up at you, eyebrows furrowed. Is he giving me a death glare? I can't tell. "What." You were taken aback by his response. "Whats wrong?" You asked. He snorted and leaned his head back. "I've been informed of a couple of things." Huh? "What things?" 

"You and Harrison," he looked over at you. "What's the deal?" Oh. Oh no. "Wh-what are you implying?" You stammered. "You and Harrison have something going on, don't you." Please don't end it like this Max- just get it over with, you pleaded mentally. Your boyfriend was about to break up with you. The truth- I'm gonna be leaving soon, anyways. I can handle this. "I liked both of you, Harrison just presented me with the idea. I never cheated on you, we just admitted that we liked each other," you explained.

"While you were dating me," he added. Were? "Are you breaking up with me?" Max looked at Harrison, who was sunbathing nearby. "I don't know." You froze, maybe this was your chance. Begging- not a fan. "I'm sorry, I can stay away from him if you want. Just please-" He snapped his gaze back to you. "Don't do that- don't beg." You sighed and walked over to your tent. "You need time to think, I get it," you said over your shoulder. 

Once you were in your tent, you dug through your bag, retrieving your bathing suit. You changed into it and walked back over to the shore, sliding wordlessly into the water. The rest of the day was spent hanging out with Nikki and Neil, but you couldn't push back the guilt you felt. You liked Harrison, but he was the reason why your relationship was collapsing. You're the reason. -

( A/N: A bit of a shorter chapter, but I need to keep them at a decent length if I want to upload at least once everyday. I'm milking this break for what its worth. )