Ch. 28 | The Squirrels

A/N: Before we start this chapter- lemme give you a warning. It gets kinda heated in this chapter. So I shall calmly put a nice ⚠ on those parts if you wanna skip em.

Also, Davids back :D

- You woke up on the floor with Max awkwardly caressing your back, trying to grab you in his sleep. You sat up and rubbed dirt off your face, scowling. "Y..Y/N?" Max asked sleepily. He's adorable when hes tired. "Yeah?" you instantly brightened at the sound of his voice. "Why are you on the floor?" He leaned over the bed and looked down at you, eyes lidded against the light.

"I have no idea, but I'm guessing you pushed me," you responded, yawning. "Oh, sorry." Max whipped around and cocooned himself in his blanket. "Wow, thank you for the heartfelt apology." He was instantly in your face. "I can be even more heartfelt, if you want." His voice was oozing with lust. "Okay, we aren't doing that," you pushed him backwards and stood up.

"Want me to bring you breakfast?" You stretched, a satisfying pop sent shivers down your spine, and you yawned loudly. "I think i'll skip breakfast," he responded, sitting up in his bed "..Unless I have a cereal bar?" You narrowed your eyes at him. He's so predictable. "Yep! Got any goods?" He extended his hand. "I think so, lemme check," you dug through your bag enthusiastically.

Your fingers grazed a wrapper-like substance in your bag. "Got one," you pulled it through your heap of clothes and chucked it at him. It slapped him on the face and sent him spiraling backwards. "Jesus! You're lucky you're fucking cute," he muttered under his breath, twisting the bar around in his fingers before loudly unwrapping it and taking a giant, messy bite. 

You snatched Max's hoodie and pulled it on. The sleeves hung a short way underneath your fingers, and the bottom of the hoodie reached your lower thighs. "Not bad!" You commented, twirling around. Max, who was completely oblivious to the situation, continued taking bites out of his cereal bar. Alright, Y/N. Time to girl-boss your way out of this tent. In three.. two.. one..

You flung yourself out of the tent and practically flew over to the Mess Hall, kicking down the doors and sliding into your unofficial seat at your unofficial table where Nikki and Neil were already seated. "Good morning," you said bluntly. "Hey, Y/N" Neil greeted, leaning his head on his hand. "Hi," Nikki muttered. Her enthusiasm was long gone today. It sucked at your emotions.

"Did anyone else detect the scent of squirrel outside?" She asked unexpectedly, anxiously peering outside. "What do squirrels even smell like?" You asked, twitching your nose. "Kind of like stale, dusty eggs," she responded. "I wouldn't know what that would smell like," Neil said. "But it did smell weird outside," he added. "I didn't notice, I made a beeline here," you snorted.

"What if the squirrels are back?" Nikki asked, perking up. When you first got to Camp Campbell, Nikki had told you that a couple of years ago, squirrels had taken over their camp. They had to temporarily hang out at a new camp that they built, but they eventually won back their original. "They might be, those are some persistent fucking squirrels," Neil muttered, eyeing the window.

"We're in a forest. The scent of squirrel should be.. normal?" You said, forcing some confidence into your voice. Even with that, you still sounded uneasy. "I don't think so, the squirrels only come near our camp when their planning an attack or something," Nikki sighed, shaking her head. "So, they might be back," Neil concluded, eyes wide. "We have to store our peanut butter."