Ch. 27 | Reconsideration 3

- David and Jacob were both asking Bonquisha questions now, but their eyes were still glued to each other, glittering with hostility. It took awhile, but you smiled mentally as David suddenly threw a jealous-guided punch. "It's happening!" Max cheered, holding up a fist. The campers who were sitting in the Mess Hall started surrounding them, surprised. 

A full blown fight broke out. David and Jacob were wrestling on the floor and Bonquisha was frozen in shock. The campers swarmed around them, cheering. "Beat his ass, David!" Max shouted from beside you. Gwen barged into the Mess Hall and her smile grew three times bigger. "It worked!" She said, excitement oozing from her words. "Want some popcorn?" You grabbed a handful and extended your hand to her. "Sure," she took a piece and popped it into her mouth.

Jacob pinned David down against the ground and started beating the everloving crap out of him. The cheers faltered and was replaced with horrific silence. The sounds of Jacobs punches were echoing around the room now. "David!" Max scrambled over to him. Gwen's cocky smile was upside down now. You rushed beside him and crouched down next to David. "Are you okay?!" You leaned forward and peered into his eyes. "David?" Max croaked, shaken.

"..I'm okay."

He held his head and groaned. Jacob scrambled backwards, his eyes screaming questions. David stood up gingerly and walked over to him. "Fuck you," he snapped. Everyone started cheering again, Max sighed with relief, but you were frozen. "David swears?!" You asked. "He's only done it once," Max explained. A loud thud sounded over the cheers. You craned your neck, trying to see over the heads. Jacob was laying, clearly unconscious, against a table. "What happened?!"

"David punched the shit out of him!" Nurf responded. "Oh, thank god," you sighed. Bonquishas jaw was practically dragging across the floor. Gwen scooted over to her and clapped her hand against hers. "High five! We love toughness in a guy, right?" She said nervously, leaning forward. Bonquisha was silent. "Right?" She repeated. "I guess so," Bonquisha agreed. The cheers slowly faded as people started to calm down. Nurf and Harrison carried Jacob out of the Mess Hall.

"David, I didn't know you had it in you," she commented, eyes narrowed. The corners of her lips rose slightly. "Neither did I," he admitted, rubbing the back of his neck. His lips and his nose were heavily bruised. "Are you okay?" She asked. "I'm fine," he responded. Bonquisha picked him up and carried him off. His body went limp. "That was such a rush!" Nikki cheered, prancing around the Mess Hall with stars in her eyes. "David really beat some sense into him!" 

"He almost got himself killed" Max said, narrowing his eyes. "Awe, you really do care," you smiled, nudging his shoulder. "Bleh," he rolled his eyes and stuck out his tongue. Quartermaster, who was casually sitting in the kitchen, rose a moldy mop over his head. "I hope you weirdos are cleaning up after them," he said bluntly. All eyes turned to Gwen. "Fine," she muttered.

Max glanced outside. "I'm gonna go find David." Gwen grabbed his arm and glared at him. "You can't, this was meant to happen." He blinked, clearly confused. "Oh, okay." You tugged on his sleeve. "You alright?" He shrugged, "I guess; I just didn't expect to.. see him get his ass beat." You snorted. "We all kinda did," you admitted. Insensitive much? He burst out laughing. "What?" You stepped backwards. "'We all kinda did'" he echoed. His laughter died into short, quiet snickers.

"Oh, heh.." You rubbed the back of your neck. "Wait, can't he be charged with assault or something?" Max asked. "I don't think so, not when there's twelve people backing him up," you responded mischievously. "Ooh, smart" he commented, stuffing his hands in his pockets. "Alright, we need to round everybody up and get them to tell.. uh- the cops.. the same story," you said awkwardly. "There's no good way to say that," you added. Max looked outside.

"Lets get to work!" 

Within minutes, you and Max had Gwen and the campers rounded up in the activities field. You explained that if the cops were to come to Camp Campbell, that you all had to tell them the same story: That Jacob started the fight. "I'm no cop, but wouldn't that mean.. uh- that we would be accessories?" Neil asked uneasily. "Probably, but we cant let David get taken by the cops," you shrugged. Max furrowed his eyebrows and looked at his feet.

"Everyone got the story?" You asked, scanning the crowd. Everyone nodded. "Alright, we don't speak of this- okay? Ever." The campers dispersed, leaving you, Max, and Gwen alone in the field. "You guys want some time alone?" Gwen asked, wearing a big, cheeky grin. "Uh, I don't kn-" Max clapped his hand over your mouth. "Yeah," he interrupted, turning his head and glaring at her. "Oh, alright." She scooted away, giving you a look. Oh- ohh. Moment of truth? "Y/N," he whipped his head around and looked at you. "Y-yeah?" This is it. This is the moment of truth.

"I.. I forgive you," he instantly looked at his feet, flustered. You stared at him, then burst into tears of relief. Jesus christ! "Woah- Hey! Don't cry?" He awkwardly wrapped his arms around you. "I'm sorry.." You dragged your hand across your face and inhaled sharply "..Why are you crying?" He asked. "I guess I thought you were gonna.. y'know.." You trailed off and stared up at him. "Wow, I am offended," he snorted sarcastically, kissing your forehead.

Thank god! You sighed with relief and nuzzled against him. "I'm sorry," you muttered. "Sorry for what?" He choked. "For getting David beat up, and for.. and for everything else," you responded wearily. "You're good," he pushed his face into your hair. Oh my god. Oh my god. You wrapped your arms around his chest and sighed. "Times up!" Gwen said cheerfully, appearing out of literally nowhere. "Holy fucking shit!" Max pulled away from you and stared at Gwen. You flinched, startled, and whirled around, following his gaze.

Gwen grabbed you by the hood and dragged you over to her. "How'd it go?" She asked. "Amazing!" You responded, clasping your hands together. Her smile widened and she gave you a thumbs-up. "Anyways, we don't have any activities today since the only person who's actually enthusiastic about them is boning his girlfriend," she said "..And almost to the grave, might I add." Your eyes twitched. "Unnecessary detail," Max muttered, walking off awkwardly.

"Alright!" You scrambled after him. "Wanna.. go swimming?" He asked. "Sure," you responded cheerfully. Max ruffled his own hair and started to walk over to your tent, but you abruptly grabbed his sleeve and stared into his eyes. "Does this make us.." You trailed off curiously. "Friends. With benefits," Max responded with a cocky smirk. "We'll see how this plays out." You blinked, releasing him. "Alrighty." I guess I should be happy he forgave me. He still doesn't trust me, anyways. "I'll see you later then, princess," Max said, interrupting your thoughts. -