Ch. 3 | Arrival

- You were already up when your mother came to wake you. She was confused when she saw you sitting on the balcony outside your room. Legs folded against a cushioned chair. You wore your favorite F/C tank top and jean shorts with F/C slides and the sparkly glitter necklace your mother gifted you for your 12th birthday. "You're getting picked up in an hour" She reminded you, amused. You nodded slowly, buzzing with excitement, but careful not to show it. "I'll go make you some breakfast." "Okay, thanks mom" You said, brushing your hair with your fingers.

You stuffed the parsley coated eggs into your mouth, your eyes watered at the warm taste. You were grateful that your mom remember your favorite breakfast combo. Eggs, Bacon, and Pancakes. After scarfing down the food, you stood up and stretched. "Alright, we have a little under an hour left until you get picked up" Your mom informed. "What do you want to do until then?" You tapped your chin in thought. "Well, since I'm leaving for an entire summer, we may as well spend some time together." Your mom sighed with relief and nodded, "We can.. hmm.. make your favorite cupcakes?" She suggested blankly. You clasped your hands together "Yeah, perfect! I can take some with me, too." Your mother nodded, walked back into the house, and down the stairs to the kitchen. You hopped to your feet and scampered after her, excited. 

"Alright" Mom cracked her knuckles "What kind of cupcakes are we making today?" She asked. You thought for a moment "Well, I like vanilla (A/N: I just put in my favorite flavor because I think it would be obnoxious to put F/F in, too. )" Your mom slammed a box of vanilla cupcake mix onto the kitchen counter "Three eggs, milk, oil, and butter." You scampered over to the fridge and grabbed the eggs, milk, and butter. Then you ran over to the cupboard and grabbed a little bottle of olive oil. "This?" You asked, placing them in front of her. She nodded and began to make the cupcakes while you watched in awe. Occasionally helping. And preparing the icing.

 - A nice time skip because I'm mighty lazy. - 

You sat and nibbled on one of the cupcakes you helped make. The bus was due to come any minute now, and you were honestly getting a bit giddy. The excitement was soon glossed over by nervousness. You looked at your bag and smiled, then continued taking small bites of your cupcake. You were suddenly interrupted by a loud car horn. You looked up to see the bus. The bus that was going to take you to Camp Campbell. You instinctively grabbed your bag and flung yourself off the balcony, which was on the second floor, so you weren't very afraid of getting severely hurt. Landing on the floor with a grunt, you stood up and darted onto the bus. Your mother was standing on the balcony and waving at you. "Have a good summer, dear!" She yelled urgently. You slumped down into a seat and waved back "You, too! Love ya!" You yelled back. She lowered her hand. "Love you, too" She replied as the bus pulled away from your house. 

 - Yes, another time skip. I know. -

You drove through a long line of houses with the occasional treed slope. Soon, it just became a trek entirely consisting of trees side by side. You drove for an hour, but finally, the road became a dirt path, and you could see a cabin in the distance which was surrounded by trees. Your eyes widened with excitement, and you sat up slowly. You could make out a tall, red haired man, and a shorter boy standing beside him. They were chatting beside the path, and you wondered if they were waiting for you. Suddenly, the bus made a sharp turn. You grabbed the corner of the chair in front of you and held on for dear life as the bus continued it's straight line routine. 

You finally thought it was safe to let go, so you did, and you hauled your bag up onto the empty space beside you. Then you stood up while using one hand to grab the back of the seat in front of you, and the other to push your bag backwards so it wouldn't tumble off your own if they made a hard break. You reached the cabin, and as expected, the bus skidded to a hard stop. Even though you had braced for the impact, you still flung over the seat you were holding onto and hit the chair in front of it with a loud bang. You lay there for a moment, groaning in pain, before slowly standing up and dragging your bag onto your shoulder. Your forehead throbbed.

You heard the bus door open and a raspy voice say "Kid is here." As if on cue, you walked down the bus hall, dragging your bag behind you, and looked at the driver for reassurance. He just stared back, his long gray mustache acting like a curtain for his mouth. You looked away quickly and out the door. The red haired man had a big smile on his face and the boy looked completely out of it. You drag your bag out of the bus and stepped out yourself, still buzzing excitedly. -