Ch. 9 | A Bear And A Promise

- You leaned forward to tug at Pikemans arm. All the boys gave you warning glances, but, as expected, Snake just stared at you with a smug grin on his face, nodding to urge you forward. You ignored all of them, especially Snake, and tugged his arm anyways. Pikeman shot around and gave you a demonic glance. He quickly realized that it was you rather than any of the boys, and he turned around instantly. "Yes, Y/N?" He asked, looking at you expectantly. 

You fidgeted lightly and looked up painfully into his eyes. "I..I need to go to the b-bathroom, Pikeman." You said, trying your hardest to sound plausible. "Okay, go outside," Pikeman responded. You stood up and pretended to hop outside as if you needed to pee really badly. As soon as the boys were out of your site, you made a bee-line for the back of the building. You peered around the corner, and Max was gone. 

Maybe he already left to look for the.. the thing, you thought gingerly, heaving a sigh. You stood outside for a bit before walking back inside. The boys were talking in a circle, talking awfully quietly for makeshift soldiers. As soon as Pikeman saw you, he leaped back beside the chalkboard and the boys quickly slid back around it. You stared at them quizzically and took your place next to Petrol, who huffed a greeting at you.

You blinked and huffed back. He stared at you in confusion, but he quickly regained his composure and looked back at the chalkboard. You did the same, and out of the corner of your eye, you saw a black and blue blur skidding noiselessly around the bunk beds. You felt a spark of joy. Max? You thought, excitement rising in your belly. Maybe he finally found that stupid thing and was here to break you out of the most boring meeting you've ever attended?

Max's POV:   

- I searched around the base, trying to find a shovel or something I could dig with. Damn it! There's nothing useful in this shitty ass camp, I thought, glaring over at Y/N. Her face was slightly cocked sideways towards me. And watch this girl give me away, I scoffed, digging through the bunk beds as quietly as I possibly could. I huffed and straightened, then looked up at Y/N again.

She was looking straight at me now, mouthing something. I leaned forward and squinted, trying to make out what she was saying. When are we leaving? I rolled my eyes and mouthed "When I find it." I saw her heave a sigh and nod in understanding. Good, she better. I snuck out of the base and outside. "I have the map, but nothing to dig a damn hole with," I pulled the map from out of my pocket and studied it, then at the hill just outside the base that the bear was apparently buried beneath.

I looked sideways. Maybe the paddle would work? I slid out of the base and walked back to the dock, being careful to take my sweet time, I took the paddle that was in the boat and walked over to the hill outside the military knock-offs camp. I pulled out the map and looked at it, then at the ground. X marks the spot. I started stabbing the paddle into the ground, scooping up dirt, and tossing it over my shoulder until I felt the end slam against something softer than the ground.

"Thank god almighty."

I reached into the hole, grabbed the bear, dusted it off, and gave it a quick hug. "I thought I'd never see you again, Mr. Honeynuts!" I said, squeaking like a little loser. I shoved him into my pocket and grabbed the paddle, then walked down the hill and snuck over to the bases entrance. Y/N's back was turned to me, but I could still tell that she was bored. She held her chin up with her hand and her elbow was resting on her folded legs. 

The other boys just stared at the board. Okay, how am I getting her out? I thought to myself. Shit, I didn't think this far ahead. I looked around, there were rocks and loose twigs littered around. Hm, maybe..? I bent down and grabbed the smallest rock, then stood back up, aimed, and hurled it at the back of Y/N's head. It slapped against her head and hit the ground noiselessly. 

She groaned silently and whipped her head around, agitated. As soon as she saw me, her face brightened, and she turned back around. "Pikemaaan," she whined. I ducked sideways before he could turn around. "Yes?" I heard his shrill ass voice respond. "I need to use the bathroom againn." He sighed and didn't say anything else. I heard someone stand up and rush in my direction. Y/N sped-walked out and away from me. 

Smart. I peeked around the corner at the boys. They were all still focused on the board, so I flung myself across to the left side of the entrance and did a messy forward roll as I hit the ground. Y/N was standing a few steps in front of me, grinning. "That was entertaining to watch," she said, her eyes twinkling mischievously. I glared at her and stood up quickly, checking my pockets to make sure Mr. Honeynuts was still in there.

"Let's just go, this place is more ass than ass itself." 

Y/N nodded violently "Yeah, lets do that. That meeting was boring as heck." I scoffed and walked back to the dock, occasionally checking behind me to see if Y/N was still following. I stopped dead in front of the boat and turned to face her. She froze and tipped her head "What's up?" I stuffed my hands in my pockets and caressed the top of Mr. Honeynuts' head. "You're useful." Y/N smiled and brushed the back of her head "Well.. heh, y'know.."

She stared at her feet for a while, then rose her head and looked at me. "Wait, does this mean that I can be your partner?" She asked. I stared at her, confused. Partner? Like, help me out? I stared at her. "Like, helping me?" I projected my thoughts out. "Yeah." I thought for a moment, then nodded. Y/N stared at me wistfully, as if she was thinking of something else. "Promise?"

I groaned inwardly. 

"Promise?" She repeated.

"I promise." -