Ch. 18 | B.O.C.I

- "..Pleease?" Nikki pleaded, grabbing your shoulders. "No thanks" you repeated, rolling your eyes at her. Nikki had been trying to convince you to go to Spooky Island with her and a couple of other campers on a "special mission" for Campbell. "But me, Ered, and Nerris are going!" Her grip on your shoulders tightened, "I want you to come, too." You blinked. "Why? So I can watch you try to kill Nerris, again?" Nikki snorted, "not today." You shouldered past her and looked across the lake at Spooky Island. "And this is for.. what, again?" Nikki shook you violently. "The box of confiscated items, of course!" Your eyes swam dizzily, and you shook your head vigorously to clear your vision. "The what?" 

Nikki went silent and gave you a strange look, then dragged you over to the Mess Hall. She kicked open the door, and all the conversations faded. "Y/N doesn't know what the BOCI is!" She announced, looking around. It was quiet until Harrison stood up, "She doesn't know what?!" Neil slammed his hands on the table. "Bullshit! Everybody knows what it is!" 'It's not that deep,'  you thought, sighing. Everyone started explaining what it was simultaneously. "Um, I appreciate the fact that you guys are trying to explain-" You shouted, raising your hand to stop everyone. 

"-But I can't hear a single word. You're all talking over each other." The room fell into an awkward silence until Harrison spoke. "It's exactly what it sounds like. It's a box of confiscated items." Max shot up from his seat, "and the stuff in there is so over-powered!" He added dreamily. "I would kill to get something from that box," Nikki said from beside you. The room fell into chaos as everyone started listing items from the box. "Cameron Campbell is the only one who knows where it is," Max pointed out, looking at you expectantly. Everyone followed his gaze. "Woah, woah! I'm not gonna-" You began hesitantly. 

"Oh come on, Y/N! Please?" Nikki gaze you her most hypnotizing puppy-eyes. "Plus ten bravery poi-" Nerris began. "Oh shut up, Nerris" Harrison snorted, pushing her (A/N: yes, finally her) aside. "Hey!" She stumbled, found her footing, and pushed him forward and into the ground. "Oh- I'm sorry.." She backed away and started running around the Mess Hall with Harrison chasing her. "Just walk up and ask him to give it to you" Max said, shrugging. You narrowed your eyes at him. "He trusts me," you said. "All the more reason to ask him," he countered. 

You took a step back and looked around at the pleading expressions surrounding you. "Fine," you sighed. How could you say no to those puppy eyes? Everybody started cheering. Max, who looked like he had just won the lottery, walked forward and gave you the tightest hug you'd ever received. Followed by a short, passionate kiss on your forehead, then your lips. You touched your cheek gingerly, sure that your face was sizzling. "Now off you go!" Preston said cheerfully. He was probably going to turn this into a play; he had a habit of turning things into plays.

You hung your head and walked out of the Mess Hall. I don't think I should do this.. but everyone is so excited. I shouldn't let them down. You walked into the Counselors Cabin. Inside, David and Gwen were arguing about an activity or something. You timidly tugged Davids sleeve. He looked down, his brows furrowed in frustration. "Oh, hi Y/N!" He greeted, forcing a smile. "David.. do you know where Campbell is?" You asked, looking sideways. "I think he's at the stage,"  he replied with a light shrug. You crossed your fingers, praying that he wouldn't ask- "Why?"

"U-uh.. Because I want to speak with him?" You stuttered. "Ah, alright." He shook your hand off his sleeve and looked at Gwen. "Now, why can't we have two rock-climbing walls?" He complained. "Because we'd have no way of moving them!" Gwen hissed, rubbing her temples. "I've repeated it twelve times now." You stared awkwardly for a few seconds, then backed out of the cabin and rushed off to the stage. Campbell was standing beneath it and staring intently its surface. You walked up to him. "Hey, dad?" You asked.

His eyes locked with yours, and they were shimmering with annoyance. "What?" He asked. "U-um.." You fiddled with your fingers, what if you asked and he got even more annoyed? "Do you.. what are you doing?" You asked. "Well, some officers are gonna swing by to make sure everything's alright," he said dryly. "And what does that have to do with the floor of Preston's stage?" You asked. "These guys want perfection. Hell, they're probably going to look for dust with a magnifying glass," he sighed "..And?" You pressed. "And I don't know if I should get the campers to clean this thing."

"I doubt they're going to check the floor of a stage. And why would they put you in jail if it wasn't clean?" You asked, climbing onto it and sitting down. He shrugged, "I don't know." You stifled a sigh and pressed your index fingers together. "So.. I wanted to ask you something." Campbell rose his eyebrows. "I was wondering if you could tell me where the box of confiscated items is?" He turned and looked through the trees. "It's in Spooky Island, the campers kept on breaking into my room looking for it," he said. Lightning struck as he said Spooky Island.

"Oh.. where?" You asked. "It's buried somewhere around my.. pile of ashes." You chuckled and followed his gaze. "Alright, thank you, dad." He's gonna ask me why. "Why?" He asked. Jesus Christ. "I just wanted to know" you replied, hopping off the stage. "See you later?" You looked over your shoulder. "Yeah," you replied, walking over to the dock. You slid into a boat and paddled off over to Spooky Island. When you reached the island, you dropped a bucket of rocks off the boat and hopped off. 

Dang it! I forgot the shovel. You grabbed the paddle (Flashbacks) and walked around for a while, trying to find the pile of ashes. "Hi!" Someone said from behind you. You jumped and rose your paddle defensively, whirling around. A translucent figure stood in front of you, hand outstretched. "I'm Jasper. Who are you?" He asked, smiling politely "..David's childhood friend?" You asked. The campers talked about a Jasper. Jasper who was haunting Spooky Island. "You guessed it!" He lowered his hand when he realized you weren't going to shake it.

"I've heard about you," you said. Jasper blinked. "The campers talk about you." He looked confused for a second, but then he nodded. "Oh, right." You looked around, hugging the paddle to your chest. "Do you know where the old lodge is?" You asked. "The burnt lodge?" He asked. You nodded, tightening your grip on the paddle. "Sure, I do! Follow me," he said cheerily, floating past you. You sighed with relief and rushed after him.

"I didn't get your name," he brought up as you traveled through the trees. "It's Y/N," you said, nodding. "Y/N.. why does that sound so familiar?" He wondered aloud. You didn't know how to answer, so you stayed silent. After a while, you reached the lodge. "Thanks for the help, Jasper!" You said, relieved. "No problem, the only visitors I get are horny old people, so i'm always happy to help a stable individual." You laughed slightly at that, and reached out to stroke his shoulder, but your hand went straight through him.

Awkward

You and Jasper looked at each other for a moment. "Ehehe- you can't really.. touch a ghost," he pointed out. You nodded and walked over to the lodge, paddle raised over your head, and dug it into the ground. The sun had set by the time your paddle struck something underground. Jasper didn't leave your side. He kept a conversation going the whole time, and you grew fond of him. "I found it!" You gasped breathlessly, digging up the box and opening the lid. Inside, there were tons of.. dangerous things. There were knives, bottles of poison and.. facial cream? There were also a couple of grenades.

"What the..?" You showed the contents to Jasper, who snorted. "Wood scouts, maybe." He said, cautiously picking up a grenade and inspecting it. "Maybe," you looked through the trees. "Lets go take this back." You tucked the box under your left arm and held the paddle with your right hand, retracing your steps back to the dock. Jasper was silent the whole way this time around.

When you arrived, Jasper backed away. You looked at him, confused. "What?" He tapped his index fingers together, troubled. "I can't leave the island," he confessed. "What?" You repeated, "why?" He looked sideways, the creamy sunset reflected in his eyes. "I'm cursed to stay here until my physical form finds peace in the living realm," he said simply. You nodded even though you didn't understand a single word. "Oh, alright.." You said. Jasper was kind and friendly, he didn't deserve to be confined to the island. "I'll always be here, you can visit me anytime," he reassured, smiling.

"You'll always be welcome in Spooky Island." Lightning struck as he said those words. "I don't know why it does that," he snorted. You hopped into your boat, "see you around?" He asked, leaning forward. "Sure, I'll be back tomorrow." Jasper brightened, and he flashed another smile. "Alright! I can't wait," he backed away a couple of steps before disappearing. You rowed your boat back and was greeted by the cheers of the campers that were waiting on the dock. -