Ch. 8 | New Authority

- "Yeah, okay." You rose your hand "High-five for good luck?" Max looked at your hand, then at you. "I will never, just go." You blinked and high-fived yourself, then turned. "If I die, that's your fault." He glared at you intently "Because I didn't give you a high-five?" "Exactly," you turned back to Max and high-fived yourself before turning around again and speed walking along the side of the building. You stopped right beside the entrance and peeked inside to take a look.

There were two lights aimed towards the outside. You fell back, startled by the sudden, and very bright light. You slammed against the floor and crawled backwards quickly before "someone could notice you." You looked over at Max, who was rubbing his temples and staring at you. You smiled guiltily and waved. He rolled his eyes and rubbed his temples a little rougher. You heard hard and melodic foot steps fading in. Max stepped sideways and behind the building instantly.  But not before mouthing the word go. Well, I'll GO, you snapped to yourself, standing up. 

A boy with terrible acne and auburn hair marched out holding a clipboard. Three other boys walked behind him silently. One was bald and tall with a couple of freckles. Another was average height, a bit chubby, and had glasses and black hair. The last one was very short with dark brown hair, bandages around his arms, and an eye patch. You watched them silently, feeling a bit intimidated. Remember your job, you thought. The boy with the clipboard looked over his shoulder at the other three who were following him. "Men, I need to hear some ideas." 

You giggled at his squeaky voice, and the chubby boy turned and looked at you. He pointed instantly. "We bribe people with her," he said. His voice on the other hand, was raspy and sounded a bit forced. The other boys turned and looked at you as well. The short boy looked at you, then at the chubby one. "No, we kill her and threaten the other-" He stopped in his tracks and whipped around to stare at you in shock. The tall boy placed a hand on his shoulder.

Clipboard-boy looked at you in surprise. He grinned seductively and leaned forward "Well, hello," he said. You took a step back "Uh, hey." The short, intense one glared at you. "I thought we were a male run organization?" He asked. Clipboard-boy turned and looked at him sternly "This is an exception," he walked over to you and placed his hands on your shoulders, looked into your eyes, and did some weird eyebrow wiggling thing. "Welcome to the Woodscouts.." You glanced at Max, who was glaring at him with a weird expression on his face.

Ha, jealous much?  You looked at the boy. "I'm Y/N" You said, eyeing him. Braces, and that acne was horrific. "Y/N.. Well, Y/N- my name is Edward Pikeman. First Class Cedar Scout and Senior Patrol Scout of Woodscout Troop 818." You nodded and pointed at the boys standing behind him. "Petrol," he pointed at the tall, bald one. "Snake," he pointed at the intense short one. "And-" He heaved a giant sigh before pointing at the chubby one "-Jermy Fartz." You instinctively clapped a hand over your mouth to prevent yourself from laughing outloud. 

Pikeman nodded and pointed at the building. "Let's go inside," he said, turning and marching into the building. The boys followed quickly, except for Snake, who was lagging behind and giving you death glares. You hopped inside, but not before sneaking a final glance in Max's direction. He was gone.

A/N: So, has anyone gotten a good look inside there? Or was it not shown on-screen? Someone lemme know. For now, I'm making it dark ( with the details I remember, and a few extra ones ) because I'm too lazy to go back and check. Again. 

Inside, it was dark. You could barely see the lines of bunk beds and furniture. On the far right, there was a chalkboard being illuminated by a stage-light. The far end of the building was completely dark except for a chair with rope on the legs, a small coffee table behind it, and a desk lamp placed in a way that the light would be fixed on the person sitting in the chair. You followed Pikeman and the boys over to the chalkboard. There were messy sketches and something about an impending doom on a group called the Flowerscouts. 

You, Petrol, Snake, and Jermy sat down around the board while Pikeman struggled to reach a piece of chalk on top of it. He sighed loudly and gave up. "Men, let's have a round of applause for our new member, Y/N." The boys clapped unenthusiastically while Pikeman watched. He narrowed his eyes at them, and they clapped louder. You smiled "Gee, thanks? But I didn't really.. agree to this." Everybody stopped and stared at you in confusion.

Everybody but Snake, who was grinning triumphantly. "See? She's not Woodscout material." He said. Pikeman leaned forward, smiled seductively, and did that weird eyebrow thing again. "Really? " He asked. You slid away slowly "Yes, really." You looked around, picturing Max walking around trying to find.. whatever he lost. Then back at Pikeman. "But I guess I can stick around for a bit?" You said in fake defeat, sighing. Pikeman nodded and turned back to the board, then began talking about Flowerscouts, cookie sales, and overrunning Camp Campbell. 

He would occasionally stop to look over his shoulder at you before turning back and continuing his speech. You sighed distantly and fiddled with your own fingers, any fun you were having instantly seeped out of your body. This wasn't as thrilling as you expected it to be.