Ch. 5 | Confusion

A/N: Does Max sleep on a bed? I dunno, I'm too lazy to go back and check. Someone let me know so I can edit that part. Thanks <3 

- David assigned you to Max's tent. Even though he was the only person you knew, you didn't feel confident about sharing. After his outburst, you felt uncomfortable being around him. And now you were going to be alone. In a tent. All by yourselves. You exhaled and started to unpack your things after placing the sleeping back David gave you on the floor.

Max suddenly walked in, fuming, and jumped up onto his bed. He glared out the tent entrance. "What's wrong?" You asked awkwardly. He folded his arms and glared over at you. "Your shitty little boyfriend is being annoying." You blinked, confused. "Who are you talking about?" Max rolled his eyes. "Harrison. Harrison is being annoying." You sucked your teeth with annoyance. Max was being a pain. Maybe he was jealous. "I literally just talked to him, and now you're calling him my boyfriend." He looked at the floor angrily and grumbled something under his breath. "But alright, what did he do?" You leaned forward, ready to encourage the heck out of this guy.

"Well, he came over to me and started talking his ass off about you and how I was-" He stopped himself before he could finish his sentence, then looked at you. "You were..?" He looked back at the floor and shook his head. "Forget it, this is stupid." You narrowed your eyes. "You're rubbing me the wrong way, dude." He laid down on his bed and rolled onto his side, yawning absently. "Max." He looked at you over his shoulder. "You're jealous, aren't you?" 

Max instinctively shot up and stared at you. "Me? Jealous? HA." You rolled your eyes "Just admit it. It's so obvious, anyways." He leaned forward "I am MAX. The cynical rebel! The one man hell-raiser! I can like whoever I want and they'll like me back. Simple. Now get the fuck out of my tent." You pointed at your empty bag "Our tent." He growled and laid back down aggressively. You sighed and crawled into your sleeping bag. And, looking up at the top of the tent, fell asleep.

  - The next morning -

You woke up to a loud commotion outside your tent. Max clearly heard it, too. He was sitting up and trying to look out through the flaps of the tent entrance. You pushed out of your sleeping bag and stretched. "What's going on?" You asked after your very satisfying stretch. He shrugged and slid out of bed. "Probably David and Gwen, they're always doing weird shit in the morning." You yawned and stood up, then walked out of the tent after Max. 

Outside, the campers were all complaining simultaneously. David and Gwen were in the center of the chaos, trying ward off their complaints. You and Max just stood there, watching. Max's mouth hung open. "You god damn bastards! Starting a riot without me?!" He pushed into the crowd. You looked sideways and at Harrison, who was looking into his hat intently. He was silently sitting outside David and Gwen's cabin. You walked over to him. "Hey, Harrison." 

He looked up and smiled. "Just who I wanted to see." "Is that sarcasm?" You asked, narrowing your eyes. "No. Why would it be?" He stared at you quizzically. "Well, Max kinda has a grudge against you because of me," You explained. "Yeah, I know. But Max doesn't scare me." He patted the ground beside him and you sat down. "So what's, uh, going on?" You waved your hand over to the crowd. He rolled his eyes "David and Gwen were trying to make us write an essay about how great this camp is." You giggled and peered into the crowd, trying to find Max.

Suddenly, you felt a great weight crash onto your back. "Nikki?! Where the fuck did you come from?!" Harrison hissed, startled. "I was looking for bees" She said, sliding off of you and brushing herself off. "On the roof?" You complained, sitting up and arching your back. "Bees are unpredictable," She shrugged. You and Harrison exchanged a look. "Anyways, have you seen Max?" Nikki asked. You shifted your feet "Yes, why?" You asked. "I want to go on an adventure with him," Nikki explained. "Going on adventures with Neil is just boring." You sighed and pointed at the now dispersing crowd. 

Nikki instantly scampered away without bothering to thank you. Harrison rolled his eyes "Well, that's something" He said. You nodded in agreement "I'm gonna assume that Nikki is insane," You chuckled, looking at her as she went over to Max and started rambling to him. "Yeah."