Ch. 4 | Welcome to Camp!

- The red haired man made some awkward hand motion at you. The boy beside him just rolled his eyes "David. Please don't start that weird shit." You blinked at him, confused, then you looked at the red haired man, who was apparently called David. "Language, Max" He said, giving him a look before turning back to you. "Welcome to Camp Campbell, Y/N!" David chirped, placing a pin on your shirt that said "First Day Camper" on it. You straightened it absently before looking up at him, shocked. "How do you know my name.. ehm.. David?" You asked curiously.

He did jazz hands happily "The power of fun and-" Max reached out and covered his mouth before he could say anything else "Some lady called and told him your information" He explained quickly. David pushed his hand away and smacked his lips slowly. "See? We don't need any of that "power of fun" bullshit" Max stuffed his hands in his pockets and sidestepped away from him. "Give the man some credit" You scoffed, rubbing your neck. "Thanks for having me." Max raised his eyebrows and looked at David, who was smiling even wider. "No problem!"

He planted his hand on Max's head and ruffled his hair "Max'll give you the tour, since I need to finalize the paperwork and Gwen is.. under the weather." Max swatted his hand away with a low growl. "I expect two chocolate cakes on my plate" He said, grabbing your arm and dragging you past the counselor and over to a low building with the words "Mess Hall" built above the entrance. "If you have two eyes, you can clearly read what that says" He said, breaking the awkward silence and dragging you over to a clearing that was littered with tents left and right. 

"This is where we sleep. Don't go into my tent without permission" He pointed to a tent at the edge of the clearing. You remembered your heavy bag, which you were apparently dragging behind you the entire time. "Which one's mine?" You asked, dropping it abruptly. Max rolled his eyes "How am I supposed to know? Ask David or something." He let go of you and shoved his hands into his pockets, sneaking a quick glance at you before looking away and at his tent. "Well, I guess I'm stuck with you for en entire summer, huh?" You sighed, smiling. Max scoffed "Just don't get in my way or I'll make this camp a living hell for you" He hissed, walking away. 

You looked after him, confused. Then went to go find David, who was in the Mess Hall. "God damn it, Nikki! Just let me go!" You heard a high-pitched voice snap angrily. Another voice answered, a bit muffled, but feminine. "No way, Nikki never obliges!" The door smacked you as it closed, and everyone looked over. "Is that the new camper?" You heard someone ask. The whispers instantly started going, and you suddenly felt that self-doubt that you forgot about.

David stopped trying to pry a green-haired girl off an awkward-looking boy with brown hair and turned to you. "Hello, Y/N! Welcome to the Mess Hall!" He looked at Max, who was sitting beside the brown-haired boy "You showed her this place, didn't you?" Max forced a smile, but instantly dropped it "Obviously, I'm not stupid." The brown haired boy tried to forcefully pull the girl off his arm "I beg to differ!" He snapped. "Nikki, get off, god damn it!" The girl, Nikki, didn't even flinch. Max took a sip of something that was in a white mug while trying to hold back a laugh.

David snapped his head around "Neil, language" He said, grabbing Nikki and trying to pull her off. "I'm being mauled by a ferocious predator for fucks sake!" The boy, Neil, screeched. Max looked at a taller girl with blonde hair and a pink streak on her bang. "Ered, we need you" He said, snorting. She flipped her hair before walking over "Nikki, down." Nikki instantly let go of Neil and dropped at Ered's feet. "Yeah, you're welcome" She said, flipping her hair one last time before walking over to a corner and leaning against the wall with her arms folded. You blinked.

Max grabbed your arm and pulled you over to him "That's Ered, the oldest camper. She's also the coolest, according to everyone," He whispered. You nodded and your stomach growled "So where's the menu?" You asked, looking around. Max pointed to a small line that was forming "You get your food from there, there's no menu." You groaned and walked over. A boy with a small top hat, a dark gray vest, and a yellow shirt was standing in front of you. He was casually sorting through a deck of cards. You tapped him on the shoulder curiously, and he looked up. "What're they serving?" You asked. "I think mashed potatoes, that's like, the only main course we have around here, anyways" He shrugged, eyeing you. "I haven't seen you here before."

You nodded "I just got here." "Oh, well, I'm Harrison, what about you?" He stopped sorting through the cards and waved his hand, then they disappeared. "I'm Y/N-" You looked at his hand "Hey, how did you do that?" He pulled his left glove upward "Simple, magic." You blinked "Oh, are you attending magic camp?" Harrison nodded. "I'm the only one, so I don't have any competition," He smiled "I wanna be the most famous magician Camp Campbell has ever known." You clasped your hands together "Well, I support you!" Suddenly, you felt a sharp poke on your rib, you turned around. "Oh, hi Max!" You chirped, "What's up?" Max rolled his eyes.

"Are you two going to get your food, or just stand there?" He asked, pointing over at the counter. The people in front of you and Harrison had already gotten their food and walked over to their tables. "Ah, sorry- I didn't realize-" You began. "-Because you were talking to him." Max interrupted, glaring at Harrison. Harrison brushed his vest "Well, I didn't know you were jealous. I wouldn't have responded when she came up to me," He snorted, getting his lunch and walking past you "Nice meeting you, Y/N." You looked at him, then at Max "Why would you do that?" You snapped "I was so close to making a new friend!" Max rolled his eyes again "You don't need friends, you have me. Besides, the other campers here are just delusional dick heads."

You felt your cheeks getting hot "I-I have you?" You echoed. He clenched his fists, his cheeks were getting red. "I didn't mean.. I didn't mean that!" He hissed, barging past you "You all think so wrong." You shot forward and shoved him out of the way, got a plate of mashed potatoes, and sprinted over to his table. Neil and Nikki were glaring at each other, not bothering to acknowledge you. You sat down with a sigh. This was going to be a long summer.