Ch. 12 | Jealousy

(A/N: It's been four days since chapter 11. And you and Max got together off-screen.)

- You blinked open your eyes, and then you instantly shut them when you saw the sunlight. Max yawned into your ear while holding your waist. "Good morning," you rubbed your eyes and yawned in turn. "Morning," he nuzzled the back of your neck. "You're clingy," you teased sleepily. "Well, I have a good reason to be," he replied.

"And that reason is..?" You trailed off to let him finish. "You're pretty, and Harrison is obsessed with you," Max continued nuzzling your neck. "That's two," you sat up and flicked his forehead. He yawned and rolled onto his back. "I'm gonna go get you some breakfast," you said, sliding off his bed. "You don't have to, I'll be up in 5," he said, waving his hand.

"Alright," you grabbed a gray sweater out of your bag and pulled it on, then skipped off to the Mess Hall. You opened the door and walked in, every conversation stopped, and suddenly, all eyes were on you. "What?" You asked, tipping your head. It was so quiet, you could hear a pin drop, then everyone continued talking. Harrison walked up to you, "Y/N, did you hear?" He asked, clearly excited. "No, what's up?"

"We're focusing on Magic Camp today!" He took off his top hat and pulled a rabbit out of it, "Ta-dah! And I'm gonna be preforming later!" He released it and it hopped around the Mess Hall. "Oh, well I look forward to seeing it," you took his hat and placed it back on his head. "Alright, see you!" He walked over to his table, sat down, and started shuffling a deck of cards.

You walked up to the line, and it dispersed almost instantly. "What's up with you guys?" You complained, grabbing two trays and two spoons. Quartermaster slapped some mashed potatoes on them both, and you walked over to where Nikki and Neil were sitting. "Soo.. how're you and Max?" Nikki asked when you sat down. "Uh, we're fine. Thanks for your concern," you stuffed a spoonful of mashed potatoes into your mouth.

The door to the Mess Hall opened and Max walked in. He walked sleepily over to your table and sat down beside you. "Remind me to never say that again," he yawned, slamming his forehead into the table. "You can sleep while Harrison preforms, you don't like magic anyways." He pulled his hood over his head and slumped down on your chest, "I'll just take a nap."

"Alright, night-night!" You kissed the top of his head and finished your mashed potatoes. "Nikki, want thi-" You began, starting to push Max's tray over to her. She instinctively grabbed the tray before you could finish your sentence and started digging in. "Why did you even ask?" Neil chuckled, scooting sideways to avoid some airborne pieces of mashed potatoes. 

"Honestly, god knows," you wrapped your arms around Max's neck and watched Nikki devour her food like it was her last meal ever.

- time skip -

You sat down in front of the stage, clapping and encouraging Harrison as he practiced his performance. Preston and Nerris sat on either side of you. Preston was staring at Harrison anxiously as if one step would wreck his entire stage. Nerris just glared angrily at him. "Magic isn't a competitive sport, Harrison. You don't have to practice it," they pointed out. 

Harrison stopped shuffling his cards and glared at them. "Your weird wizard shit doesn't need practicing, either," he shot back. They glared at each other angrily. "My 'weird wizard shit' does need practicing! Magic is just something the hopelessly untalented turn to because it takes 5 minutes to learn!" Nerris hissed. Harrison took off his hat, pulled out a dove, and hurled it at them. It started flapping its wings vigorously in their face.