Ch. 19 | Love War

- You and your boyfriend were sitting on the beanbag that was in the treehouse. Max was sleepily muttering into the crook of your neck while you texted Tushiki on your phone. You told her about the fight, about Max and how he was somewhat possessive. You told her about Harrison and how you were starting to develop feelings for him. You also told her about your father, and about Jasper. She eventually decided to just facetime you, and you gladly answered. 

"Don't worry, Y/N, I'll be your therapist," Tushiki said, stuffing her face into the camera. "Alright, but first I need your input on something," you lifted your phone, giving her a full view of Max's face cuddling against your neck. "Awee, he's so cute! Like a little kitten" She gushed, dropping her phone. "Do you think this "little kitten" is capable of beating people to literal pulps and manipulating people left and right?" You asked. She picked up her phone and rubbed the back of her neck. "No," she admitted. You narrowed your eyes.

"At first glance!" She rose her free hand defensively. You snorted and stroked the top of his head. "I guess so," you agreed. He mumbled something and kissed your earlobe before snuggling his face into the crook of your neck again. Tushiki watched, biting her lip. She covered her mouth and squealed loudly. "You're hopeless," you commented. "Oh, I know," she giggled. "Anyways." "Anyways..?" She echoed wonderingly, stuffing her face into the camera. "What's up with you?" 

"Oh, you know me.. just living my life," she replied. You rolled your eyes, "not very specific." She snorted. "I've been writing a lot." You leaned forward, intrigued. "Aspiring to become an author, I see. What have you been writing about?" Her eyes darted sideways "..Can't tell you." You laughed. "I won't judge," you reassured. "Ha!" She combed her fingers through her hair. "Aren't you supposed to meet Jasper today?" You nodded. "We never decided when we were gonna meet up, though." Tushiki whined. "He sounds so cute."

"I guess?" You shrugged and rubbed circles on the back of Max's head. He hummed and gripped onto your shirt. "Can I have your boyfriend, please?" You shrugged. "I dunno, can you?"  She gave you puppy-dog eyes. "May I have your boyfriend, please?" You pretended to think for a couple of seconds, "no." Max yawned and rubbed his eyes. "Wh..what's going on?" He mumbled sluggishly. "Drama, I guess," you kissed the top of his head. "Mmm.. Tushi'?" He asked. Tushiki squealed. "He remembered my name!" She gushed. "Of course he did," you rolled your eyes. "He's my boyfriend and you're my best friend."

"Hi, Max!" She greeted cheerfully "..Hey," he replied. "GAH-" She accidentally ended the call before she could finish swooning. "What the fuck was that?" Max asked, ruffling his hair. "Just Tushi' being.. weird." He hummed and sat up, stretching. "So what are we doing today?" You blinked and looked away from him. "I'm.. I have plans. You guys probably have to do some boring activity thing today." Max narrowed his eyes. "Plans?" He repeated. "I have to.. do something," you muttered. He folded his arms, unconvinced. 

You harrumphed and stood up, stuffing your phone into your pocket. Max grabbed your hand and pulled himself to his feet. You stumbled and leaned against him, finding your footing. "Do you want to stay here?" You asked. "Nah, I think I'd rather sleep in a bed," he responded, yawning. "C'mon, then." You climbed down the treehouse and walked back to camp, Max hot on your heels. When you reached your tent, you pulled him down to your level and gave him a peck on the lips. "You have a nice day, alright?" He stared at you awkwardly at you and nodded.

"..That's new," he commented. You snorted and pushed him into the tent. "Goodnight, Max." You brushed yourself off and headed over to the Mess Hall to grab a bite. Once inside, everyone started cheering. Harrison practically skipped over to you. "Hey, Y/N! Congrats on.. finding the box!" He reached out and shook your hand vigorously. "Hey- you don't have to treat me like a celebrity now," you said quietly. He flinched and stuffed his hand in his pocket, "sorry." You sighed. 

"Mashed potatoes?" You asked knowingly. "Camps budget is practically non-existent," Harrison replied, shrugging. You snickered and got in line. Everyone cleared out after they got their food, and you got your own, then waited for Harrison to get his. You both walked over to your table and scarfed down your food. Nikki and Neil struck up a conversation that you and Harrison got sucked into, and then you tore away to go to the dock. Harrison rushed after you. "Hey! Hey, Y/N.. Uh, I have to.. do something." He looked at his feet. "I know you and Max are a thing."

You paused and looked over your shoulder. "Huh?" He stared at you for a hot second before pulling you into a kiss. What the hell? Why now? You pulled away, shocked "..Harrison-" He backed away from you. "Nikki told me that I wouldn't get another chance," he admitted, embarrassed. "I really don't like Max.. but I think I overstepped my boundaries." You blinked. "I.. I like you.. but Max-" You looked sideways. His jaw dropped. "You do?" He asked.

"Yeah. But, again, Max.. He wouldn't-" You began again. "He doesn't have to know, does he?" Harrison tipped his head. Your eyes widened. "Are you asking me to cheat on my boyfriend?" You asked. He tapped his index fingers together. "I guess? I don't know anything about relationships.." You bit your lip skeptically. Max would literally kill him. B-but he won't find out.. Am I really willing to take that risk? I like both of them.. Maybe I should just break up with Max? You looked back at him. "I.. I think- I think I need time to think." He looked slightly hurt, as if you rejected him. 

"..Oh, I understand," he said. You climbed onto a boat and watched him walk away before rowing off to Spooky Island.  When you got there, you dropped your bucket of rocks and retraced your steps over to the lodge. Jasper was sitting on the top of the ashes, watching you. "Y/N! There you are!" He greeted cheerfully, leaping off the  mall mountain and hopping over to you. "What'd I mis-" He quickly noticed your troubled expression and backed away. "What happened?"

"A boy.. Harrison.. he kissed me today, even though I have a boyfriend," you vented. "He's asking me to backstab him and I just.. don't know what to do. I like both of them." Jasper looked at you thoughtfully, then climbed his little ash-mountain again and sat down at the top. "I don't know anything about that hooey," he sighed, shaking his head. "Romance is just.. bleh," he pointed at his tongue and closed one eye. You chuckled and climbed up beside him. "I don't know much about you," you told him, changing the subject.

"What do you wanna know?" He asked. "Hmm- how old are you?" You asked. "17, how old are you?" He replied, countering with a question of his own. "16," you answered. "How'd you die?" He rubbed the back of his neck. "It's kinda.. whack-" You tapped his forehead aggresively. "We don't judge here in Spooky Island." On cue, lightning struck. "Blown up or crushed to death, you decide." You blinked. "Gonna go with blown up." Jasper rolled his eyes, "and you?" 

"And me what?" He tapped your forehead in turn. "How'd you die?" You snorted. "Oh- ha, ha," you hugged your knees to your chest and peered through the trees, watching the sun reflect warmly off Lake Lilac. Jasper followed your gaze. "Nice view," he commented. You nodded wordlessly. The rest of the day was spent walking around Spooky Island, checking out every nook and cranny, joking, and talking. Jasper didn't deserve to die. That was your conclusion.

After the day was over, you said good bye to Jasper and rowed back to Camp Campbell. Harrison was leaning against the side of the dock, juggling different objects carelessly. "I still need time to think," you told him, walking across the dock and waiting for him at the end. He scampered up beside you, and you started walking off to the Mess Hall. "I just think that cheating on Max is the wrong move." He nodded, but his face was screwed up with hurt. You paused and gave him a peck on the cheek. To make him feel better. To make him feel better. You kept on repeating these words. But you still didn't understand why you felt so guilty. -