Getting closer, Getting nearer

season 7 Episode 9

Chapter summery: Someone has a problem, someone else has a feeling, and someone else is mad. Normal case really.
TW: Talks of suicide, dead bodies, and normal criminal minds jargon

"Somerville Military Academy, Oceanside, Florida. 5 boys were found hanging this morning." Hotch presents the details of the case to you and the team.

You notice Erin Strauss is also at the table, which makes you a bit uneasy. Judging by the side eye Derek sends your way, your not the only one, "The bodies are at the medical examiner's now."

"There's no photos?" You question.

Strauss sighs, "School personnel thought they might still be alive, so they cut them out of the trees."

You send a look to Hotch,

You believe this?
We don't have anything to state against it.
Hmph.

Derek doesn't believe it either, "So we're walking into a contaminated crime scene. We don't have anything solid?"

"We're sorry was carved into a tree branch nearby."

Hotch gives you all the details he has, before telling you wheels up in 20. Strauss announces she's coming with the team and you share a look with Emily at the news.

So everyone has a weird feeling about this.

On the plane, you take the aisle seat next to Rossi, with Hotch across from him and Strauss across from you.

You don't necessarily have a problem with Strauss, she's always been, professionally courteous, towards you. But you also know of some of the history between her and the team, mainly her and your boss, so you aren't necessarily ecstatic about the extra pair of hands on the case.

You and Hotch have grown a bit closer since the Oklahoma case and dinner at Rossi's. Though, there has been 6 cases since then, and he has paired you up with him or Rossi on all of them.

Part of you feels he may still not trust you, and even brought it up to Rossi a few cases back, but he assured you that Hotch thinks your a great agent, and instead of worrying about if you've done something wrong, take it as a compliment. So that's what you decided to do, hell, maybe he just likes your company.

The rest of the team is spread around you four as you brief over what you know about the academy and the boys, before landing in Florida and filing into the SUVs.

The Colonel seems like a very serious man. And you get an uneasy feeling about him immediately. That feeling is only intensified when Hotch asks for a copy of the medical examiners report for the first boy.

He seems shocked we would even ask for that, "I don't have one. But there was no question he hung himself."

"Well, the nuances can tell us a lot." You admire how good Hotch is at talking down to someone in such a  professional manner. You doubt the colonel even knows he's doing it.