Alone with the Shadows

i.e. Season 10 Episode 21

TW: Angst, blood, hallucinations and involuntary drug usage. Hurt Aaron (Physically and Mentally). Typical criminal minds case talk. More angst. Tiny bit of comfort at the end but Hotch was definitely traumatized at the end of this episode and the ending of this chapter is true to that.

 Tiny bit of comfort at the end but Hotch was definitely traumatized at the end of this episode and the ending of this chapter is true to that

Aaron walks down the dark hallway of the Quantico interrogation portion of the building. A roar of thunder and flash of lightening happen outside the window, a storm has hit, and it's only going to get worse. Passing the empty rooms, he reaches the one he needs, opening the door and stepping inside.

"Who are you?" The unsub inside the room asks him.

"I'm Agent Hotchner, Mr.Merrin." Aaron answers him, "Have you been advised of your rights?"

"Yeah." Mr.Merrin sighs out.

"Do you know where you are?" Aaron questions him.

Mr.Merrin shrugs, "Some FBI place right?"

Aaron nods, "You're at the Behavioral Analysis Unit in Quantico, Virginia. You know why you're here?"

"Because you think I'm a killer." Mr.Merrin's voice is small, caught in his throat.

"Are you a killer?" Aaron asks him.

"No." Mr.Merrin's voice is more firm. "Why wont anybody believe me? I am not—"

"Stop." Aaron interrupts him before he can continue, "Sit down." He tells him more calmly.

Both of the men in the room sit down at the table, facing each other. Aaron lays the file down on the cold surface, folding his hands over it, "I need you to tell me exactly what occurred in your home two nights ago, don't leave anything out. Can you do that?"

Mr.Merrin nods, starting the retelling of his story. Aaron listens intently, taking in his body langue, his voice, and air around him. Once Mr.Merrin is done, he swears, again, that his story is exactly what happened.

"No, it's not." Aaron tells him in a low voice.

"Yes, it is." The unsub reconfirms.

"Mr.Merrin," Aaron gets his attention, "What happened was you took a kitchen knife and you stabbed your wife to death."

The sub starts shaking his head, tears threatening to fall, "No, no."

Aaron keeps going, voice still low, "Neighbors heard the screaming and they called 911, and when the police arrived, they found you still on the bed holding the knife."

"I didn't do that." The unsub whispers in a broken voice.

"You've been scratching yourself, Mr.Merrin." Aaron points out, "Are you aware of that?"

The unsub stares at him, eyes wide in disbelief. Aaron continues, "Open your shirt and you will see why."

The unsub opens his shirt, reviling 5 slash marks on his chest, "That's— That's from the shadow monster."