A Bit Batty {6}

"She's not ready yet

"She's not ready yet." Tamarah, Andy's twenty-five-year-old girlfriend, tells me as I open the creaky metal screen door for her.

I must have caught her in the middle of moving in. I heard Andy mention it to my dad not too long ago at one of our biker meetings.

"I can wait." I glance around the miniature size living room that's barely big enough to hold the seventies-styled two-seater couch and Andy's recliner.

I'm not sure how they're going to fit Tamarah in here. Andy and Ollie's place is bursting at the seams with just the two of them.

As Tee pulls her box braids up out of her face and secures them with a bright yellow scrunchie, I ask, "Is Andy here?"

"No." I can hear the sass in Tee's voice as her hand plops itself in her hip. Her rich ocher skin is dewy with sweat on this oddly warm fall day. "He is conveniently swamped at work." She rolls her chestnut eyes before squatting next to the box she brought in.

I cringe, knowing it's partly my fault. I begged for today off so that I could take Ollie to the festival. She's been so excited all week to go, and I have to admit, so am I. With our work schedules, our hang-out times have been severely cut down.

"Do you need a hand? I ask. It's the least I can do after stealing Andy away from her.

"No." She quickly waves me off with bright red manicured nails. "This was the last box. Ollie was helping up until about an hour ago when she started getting ready."

An hour? Ollie's usually one of those ready in five-minute girls.

"Tee?" Ollie's wary voice drifts down the hall.

Tee's head pops up from scrummaging through her box of what looks like memorabilia.

"I need help." Soon follows before Tee rises to her feet and disappears down the hall.

I haven't had to wait on a girl since Becca and I broke up. A sigh escapes my lips before I cross the living room and flop down in the overstuffed brown recliner and pull my phone out of my pocket.

I start scrolling through my social media apps and soon find myself on Becca's profile. Hundreds of gorgeous selfies of her litter my screen while soft voices fill the hall across from me. I can't quite make out what Ollie and Tee are talking about, but I'm too lost in stalking Becca anyway.