Love ain't a science. {19}

Dad backs up after he passes the bathroom doorway

Dad backs up after he passes the bathroom doorway. I glance over at him before running the mousse on my hands through my damp hair. A confused brow rises as his gaze runs over me.

"What?" I frown over at him as I rinse my hands off in the sink and check to see how I look one last time. My light hair is swept back, and my cleanly shaved face leaves no traces of what little stubble was there behind.

"Nothing." He shakes his head and leans against the door frame. "I just thought you were taking Ollie out tonight."

I nod and grab the towel to dry my hands off. "I am."

Dad glances at the dark blue dress shirt hanging on the door I picked out and the dress jeans I'm wearing. "Kinda fancy for the pier, ain't it?"

"We haven't hung out in a while. I thought it might call for something nicer than tattered jeans and a tee shirt." I want to make this day memorable for her.

He leans into the bathroom and sniffs the air. "Are you wearing cologne?"

"Yeah!' My frown deepens as I throw the towel to the side. "So what?"

He shrugs and pushes off the door. "Nothing, just make sure you take rubbers with you."

My eyes grow wide in both horror and shock. "It ain't like that! It's not a date."

"Uh-huh, and I'm just saying, take rubbers, or Andy'll have your fucking balls." Dad sips his coffee before turning on his heels and meandering out to the kitchen.

I shake my head. Can't a guy go the extra mile for his friend? I wouldn't do this for Miles, but we aren't as close as Ollie and I. I probably wouldn't have done it for Creed when we were friends, either.

Whatever.

I jerk my shirt off the hanger and slip it on before buttoning it up.

Ollie's a girl, so it's different. Girls like fancy shit like this, and I want to make it special for her. She's only going to turn eighteen once.

I finish getting ready and grab my wallet and jacket from my room before heading out. When I pass through the living room, a wolf-call whistle stops me in my tracks. I drop my head back and sigh. "Come on, dad."