Gone Tamarah {31}

"You ready yet, baby girl?!"  Dad's voice booms down the hall as I inspect myself in the mirror

"You ready yet, baby girl?!" Dad's voice booms down the hall as I inspect myself in the mirror. I want every curl in place and my makeup to be just right. I need to look perfect. Tonight I'm going to lay it all out for Zane and tell him how I've been in love with him since we were about five. How that I don't want to be with anyone else but him. After tossing and turning for what felt like hours last night, I'm finally caving in.

I know I won't be happy with anyone else but him. I know it's a risk, but I have to trust that he cares about our friendship more than his rivalry with Creed. Zane wouldn't risk breaking my heart to get back at Creed.

My heart flutters with anticipation as I feel like I'm floating. Since I jumped out of bed this morning, my toes haven't touched the ground. Just the thought of starting the new year off with Zane has me soring.

"Ollie, sweety, come on! You've been primping for hours!"

I roll my eyes at my dad's accusations. He's not used to me taking this long to get ready, but makeup isn't my forte. For the tenth time, I lean in close to the mirror and trace my upper lashline with eyeliner as Tamarah showed me months ago. Her steady skilled hand was a lot better than mine, though. My nerves have me shaking, and the line looks way more jagged than what Tees does.

"What is taking so damn long?" Dad suddenly appears in the doorway, making my heart jolt as I jerk back. My eyes go wide, holding tight to my black eyeliner wand and feeling like a kid that's got her hand caught in the cookie jar.

Dad looks just about as stunned as I do. I grow nervous and take a second glance in the mirror. The shading on my cheeks feels all wrong, and I'm pretty sure the eyeshadow I picked doesn't make my skin tone as Tamarah explained, but warm tones and jewel colors went way over my head.

"Does it look bad?" I nervously gnaw on my lip. I want to look pretty for Zane and not like a clown, but I have a feeling it's leaning more towards the latter. If it weren't for the fact that I think Dad and Tamarah are over with, I would have called her and asked for help.

"No, baby, you look beautiful." A soft smile spreads across his face.

Pride fills my chest like a swelling balloon. "Thanks, Dad."