Unexpected Guest {10}

Ollie's bottom lip sticks out in a pout as we sit and eat our ice cream

Ollie's bottom lip sticks out in a pout as we sit and eat our ice cream. Her spoon swirls around the chocolate and peanut butter ice cream while she sulks over her loss at our mini-golf game. The self-proclaimed mini-golf queen got her butt handed to her by none other than myself, and boy, am I going to rub it in.

"Suck it up, buttercup. You lost." I smugly smile and wave the light pink scorecard in front of her.

My gloating brings a sour look to her face. Ollie sticks her tongue out and gives me the finger before returning to her treat. A small smile hiding in the corner of her mouth shows that she doesn't mind the jesting. The 'just us' day turned out great. Just uninterrupted fun between Ollie and me.

Ollie swirls her plastic spoon around the edge of the foam bowl. I can see a distant look in her eye, telling me that she's deep in thought. When she gets like this, I've often wondered what rattles around that head of hers. Probably visions of teddy bears riding on the back of cotton candy horses. I doubt any serious or dark thoughts ever cross that mind.

"Are you looking forward to Wednesday?" Ollie pipes up, pulling me from my thoughts.

I shrug my shoulders. I guess I should be excited about getting my patch, but with the gloom of being in school damping it, it makes it hard. "I'm looking forward to this weekend. Dad and I are leaving Friday to go down to Freecaster." The two-hour bike ride is going to be the highlight of my year. "He's paying for my first tattoo."

Ollie raises a brow and leans in close. "Seriously? What are you getting?"

"What else?" A proud grin crosses my face. "Pirates tattoo to commemorate my patching next weekend."

"Ooo." Ollie coos before taking a bite of her ice cream. I can't but help notice the way her lips pucker around the plastic spoon, making them look plump and almost enticing... almost. If she were anyone but Ollie, they definitely would be.

"So?" She finishes her bite and folds her hand under her chin. "Are you getting it on your ass?"

I snort as I take a bite of the rich, creamy butter pecan flavor of ice cream I got. "Hell no. Right here." I slap my left pec showing where it'll go. "Right by my heart."