Christmas Patch {27}

Miss Nancy threatens me with the wooden end of her spoon as she chases me out of her kitchen

Miss Nancy threatens me with the wooden end of her spoon as she chases me out of her kitchen. My hindquarters already got a few swats, not hurtful, of course. I don't think that woman would raise a hand to me in a mean or painful way.

"Out." She points the end of her spoon over to the couch where Dameon is sitting with his feet up in the air and his head hanging just inches above the floor.

"Just let me help," I beg Miss Nancy. She's fixing a feast and helping with a few sides, but I get another gentle swat on the butt that sends me hopping out of the kitchen and trudging into the living room. I flop down on the couch next to Dameon and start playing with the bottom hem of my reverse tie-dye sweater dress.

Dameon's attention shifts from his phone to me before he rolls and twists to right himself on the couch. "Hey, can I ask you something?"

"Maybe." I chuckle and wait for whatever wild question might come falling out of Dameon's mouth. Over the last couple of months, Dameon's become a really good friend. Someone I can hang out with and talk to. Without having Zane around as much, it's felt like a huge loss, but Dameon's helped me through it.

"What is Wednesday Thornhill's phone number?" He leans in, eagerly waiting for my answer.

"No!" I giggle. This is probably the hundredth time he's asked since he followed Zane and me to Becca's and Wednesday's house. If Wednesday wants him to have her number, the girl will give it to him.

Dameon grunts and flops back on the couch. "Fine. Well, then tell me what she's into."

I laugh at yet another question about her. Since he found out that Wednesday and I used to hang out at her house, the questions have been nonstop. At first, I thought he was asking because he had a crush on her, but now I'm starting to wonder if it's just that he gets a kick out of irritating the shit out of her.

"She likes books," I tell him. It might be cruel because he seems to use this information to show her how well he 'knows' her, and it makes her turn a few shades of red, but it's harmless. Wednesday might look like she hates it, but I've noticed she seems to pass by my and Dameon's lockers more often than she used to.