Excuses

In the morning the gang woke up and Darry was gone. That wasn't unusual, he went to work early. What we weren't prepared for was when he came back in.

Darry's POV

I walk down to the construction site I had been roofing houses for. When people saw me they told me I had been summoned to the boss's office. When I got in there, the boss was staring at me with a cool, professional stare. He was wearing a fancy suit with a blood red tie and shoes so polished they shined off the light.

"Darrel, you haven't shown up for two days. " he says as his icy blue eyes meet mine.

"I-I know sir, m-my brothers were-" I started.

"I don't want to hear the excuses, we're going to have to cut you." He says, an uncaring tone. I bet he don't have to worry about where his next meal is going to come from. I bet he don't have to worry about not being able to provide for his family, or what's left of it.

"Please sir, I need this job." I plead.

"No more words, I am sorry but this is our final decision. " he says.

I shake my head and walk on out, what are we going to do?

Bree's POV

"I got laid off." Darry says, his eyes going colder than ice

"What are we going to do?" Pony says frantically.

"I don't know, we'll stay together buddy, I promise you that much." Darry said, patting Pony's back.

Soda nods and sighs as he looks down at his leg then back up at me.

I hug him and try to reassure him as much as possible.

We would all be okay, right?