People talking to boxes

"Twenty FIRST century?!" They all half way shouted in disbelief.

"Shhh. Don't yell." I respond in a whisper.

"What about our house and all our stuff-" Darry started as he paced back and forth.

I thought to break the bombshell that they were all apart of some book but I decided one bombshell at a time.

"Bree, why are those people talking to boxes?" Soda asked looking at me and gesturing to a man and a woman talking on their cell phone.

"Those are cell phones." I explain as I hit the sudden realization that I had my own still charging at my house.

"Come on, we need to make a stop at my place." I whisper as I pull him down the street. Him and Steve were looking at the cars, my house was close to a car lot.

"What kind of a car is that one?" He asked,pointing to a bright, shiny cherry red car.
I looked. "Mustang." I said automatically.
They both laughed "that ain't no mustang." They both said.
I sigh and point to the back of the car and there, sure enough, had the words mustang on it.
Their mouth dropped and they looked at each other.
"How in the lords name are we supposed to fix that thing?!" They demand.
"School." I say, shrugging.
"School?!" They squeak in disbelief.
"Yes, school. According to law, you all have to go to school." I explain slowly.
Dally chuckled. "Listen hear,Doll, ain't no law gonna tell me what to do." He says, popping the collar of his black leather jacket.
"Unless you want Darry to be dragged to jail." I say, looking at him.
He seemed to think about it for a minute before holding his hands up in surrender.
"Fine, fine school it is."
"What about workin in a gas station?" Steve asked me.
"Their all self served. Plus you don't know how to fix the cars. So we gotta teach ya that first." I said, playfully poking him.
"Tuff enough. Now let's go down and get a cola. I'm dyin for one." Dally said walking on down, flipping a quarter. Everyone nodded and pulled put pocket change. I tried to tell them, but I figured the only way to teach them was to let them learn it themselves.

"Seven cokes, please." Soda said to the guy at the counter.

"That'll be 8.75." They guy said, looking at them in a bored expression.

"What?!" Dally half way yelled.
Before any of the gang could protest, I slapped down a ten. All seven of the boys looked shocked, weather it was at the money or at the inflation I don't know. The guy handed them seven bottles of coke.

They cracked them open and took a slow sip.
"At least that's the same." Dally says sighing with relief.
"Now about school, soda and pony are going to have to use their middle names." I say, sighing.
"What?! Why?!" Both brothers half way screamed.
"Come on back to my house." I say as they follow.

When we get there, I head to my room and pick up my phone. Before I can tell them why they have to use their middle names, Pony picks up my copy of the outsiders.

"Hey, what's this?"