Chapter 7

Chapter 7

When I showed up on the second day of the training, Valerio had a full-grown smirk on his face. I'm not really sure if he was annoyed that I'm back? But the sure thing he does, he has to put his attention to me rather than doing important things.

Well, training me is an important task for him. If he wouldn't train me and I fail, then I'm just going to blame him that he didn't do his job. I'm doing my best, but because he doesn't really care about me, that could be one of the reasons why I wouldn't pass this training—but I'm determined. I'm gonna show him that I can.

"You showed up," he said, not even looking into my eyes.

Napangisi ko sa sinabi niya. "Do you think I was that so weak I'm giving it up already?" Natawa ako nang bahagya. "But please, let me tell you that I'm not that kind of person. I don't give up."

"So, where do you get this persistence and determination?" he asked.

"Secret." Ngisi ko pa. He then shifted his eyes at me, giving me a questionable look. "Well, you might copy my style and all, so I'm just gonna keep it as a secret."

"Okay, whatever," mahina nitong usal, but I could still understand what he said, hindi na lang ako nag-react.

"So, what are we doing today? I know we've left some stuff off the table yesterday so are we going to do those parts?"

Tumango naman siya sa akin. Inilayo niya naman muli ang tingin sa akin at pansin ko ang pagkagat nito sa ibabang labi niya. He narrowed his eyes, looking for something else, but I have no idea what was it. Binalik niya naman ang tingin niya sa akin.

"Yes, but I've got something else for you to do."

Naningkit ang mata ko sa sinabi niya. "Ano 'yon? I mean, what's the course of my training today? Would I be doing a lot of physical training or more with the lectures?"

Hindi sinagot ni Valerio iyong tanong ko sa kanya instead pinasunod niya lang ako sa kanya papunta sa lifeguard house. Nakasalubong ko pa sila kuya at iyong ibang trainees dahil sasabak muli sila sa physical training. Most of the trainings are physical since actions are needed on the field, but knowledge is also one of the key strengths that a lifeguard should have. Knowledge to do save someone else's lives. That's the important thing to do.

"What kind of test would I be doing? I feel like I should do what the other trainees are doing right now, right?"

Tumango siya sa sinabi ko so he knows that I have a point. "Yes, I know that. I'm not even sure you would show up today, but I've asked Brendan, whether you show up or not, you'll be doing desk stuff today."

Nanlaki ang mata ko sa sinabi niya, but on the other hand, it would be a good thing since I don't have to push myself so hard for the training. Kaninang pagkagising ko pa nga lang, ang sakit ng buo kong katawan and I just have to act that I can do it since pipigilan din ako ng mga kapatid kong tumuloy. Lalo na ni Kuya Emmett since he's part of the training and knew how hard it is.

Pangiti-ngiti lang ako pero ang sakit ng binti at balikat ko today.

Sinundan ko si Valerio papasok sa loob ng lifeguard house. May ilang lifeguard pa ang bumati sa amin do'n. Sinabi naman ni Valerio na rito ko gagawin ang susunod kong training and the other doesn't seem to bother it, nagbigay pa nga sila ng support sa akin which I don't get from Valerio himself.

"I think this is unfair," I told him, but it was the opposite of what I was thinking. Just so he would know that I'm also determined to do the harder tasks than sitting behind the desk.

"What are you saying?" he asked.

"Don't you think that I should also be doing the same thing that the others are going through?"