Chapter 9

Chapter 9

"You did a good job today, Carseldine." Tinapik pa ni Valerio ang balikat.

Hearing that from him somehow really fulfils what am I doing here. Alam naman niya kasing hindi ko susukuan 'to even though my body is frailing from all the physical training we have and my brain wouldn't function normally to what assessment should be needed in terms of medical situation. Information overload ang gaga, but I'm always keeping it up.

Aesthesia isn't the type of person who will just give it up. Well, buhat bangko is a real thing.

"It's weekend for you tomorrow. What else you be doing?" he asked and I wonder why he's interested?

Napataas ako ng kilay sa kanya. "Why are you asking?"

Napakibit balikat naman ito sa kanya. "As if it's bad to ask that question, isn't it right?"

Tumango. "Yeah, it wasn't. But to feed your curiosity, I will take a rest. For the whole weekend."

Nginisihan naman ako nito. "Yeah, you should do that. And I should see you back next week or else, you just prove to me that you're not capable of being a lifeguard and whatever you want to be."

"Okay," matabang kong sagot. "What about you? What you'll be doing?"

"And why are you interested?" tiningnan niya ako sa mata kasabay ng pagtaas ng kilay niya. "Do you wanna know what I'm doing during weekends? Well, basically, I've got nowhere else to go. I'll be just around here. Is that enough, Carseldine?"

Inirapan ko siya. "Ewan ko sa 'yo."

He chuckled. "You're Filipino, 'no?"

Nanlaki ang mata ko nang tanungin niya ako. Hinarap ko siya. "How did you know?"

Pinatong nito ang magkabilang kamay sa baywang niya habang may namumuong ngiti sa labi niya. Umiling naman ito. "Nothing. I just had to guess and you definitely gave your answer with your reaction. Okay, Carseldine. See you next week, have a good rest, alright? You gotta be strong."

He patted my shoulder then he took off, calling his mate back.

While heading away and waiting for Kuya Emmett, I'm wondering how did he guess that? Well, if people would look at me, they might not really see the Filipina in me dahil nga half-blood ako. Though I have chinky eyes which people would refer to Asian people and that's some kind of racist Asian slur, hindi ko na lang bini-big deal since I really have the feature.

But maybe it was just a wild guess.

Saglit lang nang magkita na kami ni kuya at sabay kaming tumungo sa food truck n Kuya Henry para sabay-sabay na rin kaming umuwi sa bahay.

"So, how are you doing with your own kind of training, Thesia?" kuya asked. "I feel like they are treating you so special, especially with what Valerio does to you. Do you want to say anything to me before it gets out of hand?"

Agad akong umiling sa kanya dahil wala naman akong dapat itanggi sa kanya. "No, there's nothing I would tell you. And he's not treating me special. Since you guys have done your training ahead of me, I have to do what you guys did that I still haven't done so that's not special. I'm just... in a slow phase of training, but I'm getting there."

Kuya Emmett smirked. "Well, if that's your reason, it could be valid or not, it's your choice to move forward with the training, or else you could just quit."

Agad akong umiling at inalis ko ang pagkaaakbay ni kuya sa akin. "No. That's not gonna happen. It's been a week now and I won't be quitting. I've had it in mind on the first few days, but I'm totally over thinking about that option so I'll be moving forward just like the rest of you."