Chapter 23

Chapter 23

"Why are you so quiet? You—journalist people, should be talking and asking a lot, right? It doesn't seem like you are now, Serene."

Napabitaw ako nang malalim na hininga sa sinabi niya. "I'm not a journalist or whatsoever at this moment." Sa pagsabi ko no'n, tumaas nang bahagya ang kilay niya. I smiled a little upon seeing the doubt on his face. "I listened to your story as me and not someone who would exploit your story just to gain something out of it. Maybe I would be that kind of person in other situations, but not now... not at this time."

"If that's what I should believe then I'm trusting you." He smirked.

"I'm saying the truth and if I lied, I'll drown myself."

"Shhh," he hushed me, breaking me from that statement. "No, don't say that."

"I didn't mean it anyway."

"It doesn't matter," he said, shaking his head. "Words are powerful. You cannot belittle it."

Namangha naman ako ng kaunti sa sinabi niya. I didn't know he had it in him. Those words coming out of him nowhere, but it's good to know that he had this kind of personality. Though I'm not sure if getting to know Valerio on a personal level is good, but I believe there's nothing wrong with that. I think he's genuine and kind.

And maybe I'm true to my words... maybe.

"We should get you back to your place now. They might be looking for you."

"I'm not sure with that. They've been doing some stuff on their own business so they might not realize that I was gone."

"I don't care, I'm taking you back home—not my home, but to your home."

I chuckled at his added explanation. "Of course, in my home. Why would I head back to your home? I've never been there."

"Alright. Let's go, Carseldine. Quit talking."

I smiled, giggling on my seat. Pinauwi na rin niya sa akin iyong container na may graham balls pa. Hindi ko rin naman naubos since umay na umay na ako sa matamis na pagkain simula pa kaninang dinner namin.

Nang siguraduhin naman ni Valerio ang loob ng tower bago kami lumabas at sakto naman sa paglabas namin, someone's waving coming at us trying to get our attention. Napakunot ang noo ko saka kami nagkatinginan ni Valerio. We immediately get to the person who needed some help and there as soon as we got closer, we found his hand full of blood.

When Valerio asked what happened, the man answered that it was because of the firecracker he tried holding on to. The area where it happened wasn't that far so not that long when we heard people coming after him and there Valerio brought the guy to the tower and give some medical attention.

Cleaning the area where the skin has been cut and bone could be seen on it, Valerio advised he should go to the nearest hospital for further examination. Nang makaalis iyong magkakaibagan, napabitaw na lamang nang malalim na hininga si Valerio.

Pinatong naman nito ang balikat ko. "Hoo! I thought we'll be getting away with some trouble for the night, but I guess we won't be getting away with it anytime soon. Maybe not for me."

I chuckled. "For real. It's part of your life now."

"It would be yours, too," he said. "If you choose it." Natulala naman ako nang sabihin niya sa akin iyon. "Have you decided yet whether you'll stay or not?"

"Hmm..." I hummed, looking up at his face. "Do you intend on passing me on the training?"

He smirked then removed his arm from my shoulder. He inhaled and put his hands on his jeans pocket. "I'm not sure about that. Just like what I said, you have to prove to me that you can do it. You still have two weeks left to do it. You can show me what a Carseldine is really made of."