Chapter 31

Chapter 31

Everything is a bit fuzzy to me.

I just knew that when I woke up, I was surrounded by my family which is not weird, but in this unconventional situation, it really made me wonder what's going. When I open up my eyes and saw all their faces lightened up made me wonder.

"She's awake!" sigaw ni Kuya Emmett.

"Thesia, anak..." mahinahong pagbati ni mama sa akin.

I could barely move so I just slowly shifted my head where I could see them. Nang malapitan ako ni mama ay niyakap ako nito. She was in tears and then I felt my father's kisses on my forehead. I'm still wondering what happened, all is blurry for me. I just couldn't understand that I'm in a hospital.

"What are we doing here?" I asked, barely could speak. "Why are we all here?"

"You drowned, Thesia," sabi ni Kuya Emmett. "Don't you remember we were on the patrol looking for that kid?"

Sa pagkabibigkas pa lamang niya no'n, nanlaki ang mata ko nang maalala ko iyon. I was about to get up from my bed, but they immediately stopped me from moving. I was so worried I couldn't take it off of my head.

Lumapit si Kuya Emmett sa tabi ko at hinawakan ang kamay ko. He squeezes my hand.

"You don't have to worry about the child," he said.

"Did we truly lose him?"

Nang umiling si kuya, halo-halo ang naramdaman ko. Hindi ko alam kung anong ibigsabihin no'n.

"It was all my fault..." I muttered.

"No, it's not your fault," pagpapagaan pa ng loob ni kuya sa akin. Which I'm not sure if it will help me. "The kid isn't dead."

"Huh?"

My face somehow lit up when those words came out of his mouth. It almost took my breath away.

"The people in the tower saw the kid on the north side beach playing with the other kids. He's lost, for sure, but he didn't drown. He didn't go to the water. We later found out that the boy has his ball thrown on the water and gushes by the waves far from him so he wasn't able to retrieve it. A lot of things happened yesterday, but I can assure you that the kid is fine and you did a great job there, Thesia."

"Great job for losing my chance on passing the training."

"It's alright if you didn't," ani Kuya Henry. "We're so proud of you, Thesia. You've risked your life there and you're just trying to save a life. We'll, you almost lose your life there, but we're so glad you are okay."

"You're a brave girl, Thesia," ani Kuya Craig. Lumapit ito sa akin at niyakap ako. "Don't you ever do that again, alright?"

I smirked. "I cannot promise."

"Thesia," saway naman sa akin ni mama. "We're proud of you for taking the training to be a lifeguard, but we cannot lose you."

I pressed my lips together. I just don't know how to response to it. Hinayaan na lang muna nila ako magpahinga upang mabawi ko ang lakas ko.

When everything is getting clearer to me, I know that I failed the final assessment and surely I'll be stuck at home because of this unfortunate accident I had. I have a bandage wrapped around my head which they said that I got a bad concussion from the wave and hitting my head on the surfing board. They say nothing bad will happen to it so I was assured that I can go home anytime.

"Kuya..." tawag ko kay Emmett. He pulled a chair next to the bed and sat on it.

"Yeah? Do you want anything? Do you want to drink or eat?"