Epilogue

Epilogue

(Valerio's POV)

When I almost lose my life, I know I have to do something. I cannot be that man who let himself drown that day. I know it was an accident, but I could lose everything there. So, I started changing my point of view.

This is not the usual stuff I would do. I would rather lay in bed or play PS5. I don't wanna be around many people. I hate interactions, but there's also a voice in my head right after that incident that I need to get out of my comfort zone.

I know I just need to do it.

So I joined Bondi lifeguards. And I know that it was the best decision I've ever done.

They thought it was a ridiculous thing to do, but what happened at the beach changed me. I cannot be afraid of the water. I shouldn't be scared of drowning again. I have to get this over so the trauma won't reside in me for too long.

"So, what do you think about your first week, Valerio?" Brendan asked.

"I'm still trying to keep up to everything."

Napangisi naman si Brendan at tinapik nito ang balkat ko. "You've been doing great at your training and as far as I can see, you're doing a great job. I must say, I'm so proud you choose to be part of us. Your family might be back in Perth, but you have a family here on the beach."

I smiled and nodded. I don't know if there's something I could do more, but while I'm here, I'm just going to make the best out of it. And for five years on the beach saving people's lives at all costs and helping them even in small things, it help me move forward.

And that was all about five years ago. I could still remember what happened five years ago, but I've passed all that things. It might remind me of that trauma, but I won't be here if it isn't because of that accident and now, I'm going to see these new trainees be one of us. And seeing all these trainees, I have high hopes that there will be many passers from this batch.

I can see strong men and those two women who joined the training.

When I got on the tower coming from the south beach—encountered a child who almost choked up on eating the sand. I'm glad that I was able to catch that up or it'll get worse, Brendan called my attention.

"Someone submitted an application form for the training," he said, handing over the paper to me. I took it from his hand and review the form. I squinted my eyes and look back up at him. "Carseldine? I believe we already have a Carseldine on this batch. This could be a duplicate form."

He shook his head. "No, this isn't the Carseldine we have already have in the team. This is a woman."

"Oh... really?"

He nodded. "Yes, and I believe these Carseldine's are siblings. They looked like each other so I'm asking you to do the training for this woman by yourself."

"Huh? No! I can't, Brendan."

"This is final." He patted my shoulder. "She'll be starting tomorrow so you gotta prepare yourself."

"But why can't she join the others?" I asked.

"We already started training for the others and maybe she couldn't keep up. It doesn't seem like she can keep up with everybody so I hope you'll make her get the best out of her. Can I trust you on this, Valerio?"

I took a deep breath and give him a confident nod. "Sure, I'll try my best."

"No, don't try. Do your best," he said. "Okay, I gotta get back to the trainees."