Chapter 13

Laurie's POV

I don't know how, but I lost (Y/N). He had gone too far ahead and I couldn't see where he was anymore. Even so, I kept going in the direction he had. The further I went, the colder I felt. The campfire began to feel like a distant memory to me.

But then I saw it.

The orange flickering of more flames.

"Another campfire." I thought. I continued, keeping myself obscured behind trees as the fire began to blaze into my sight. It looked like a camp the same as ours. Had I circled back on myself? No...

There were other people there... And they weren't survivors.

Oni was stood in all his glory, facing the twitching form of Spirit and that new killer. I knew it was him. The same black and metal decorated cloak. The same tight mask that covered his mouth. The same hood that helped to hide his identity.

The Shapeshifter. That's what he was.

He was sat with Spirit, scratching the back of his neck as if he was nervous about being around the larger man... if you could even call Oni a man. He was a demon- a monster in most eyes.

Spirit looked similar, but from what I could only guess was a different reason. She looked more embarrassed than nervous.

If just the three of them wasn't enough, I watched as the Pig creeped towards them in silence. She looked more focused on Shapeshifter than the rest. If I didn't know any better, I'd say she looked like she was going to attack him. Did the killers do that often?

That thought of mine was lost when I watched the man turn around to look at her. I think she must've spoken something to grab his attention. The two had a little squabble that I could barely hear before Oni asked her to sit down.

It was a surprise when Pig removed that horrible looking mask from her head. I'd never seen her true face before, but I never expected her to look pretty beneath it.

I just sat that and watched for a while, unable to hear their conversation but able to somewhat make out their emotions. Even if I'd lost (Y/N), this was just as interesting.

That Shapeshifter guy... there was something about him. He didn't have the atmosphere of a killer. Maybe I could try talk to him in the next trial. He already proved he didn't want to kill me yesterday.

When both Pig and the new guy began to wrestle, I couldn't help but find myself a little distracted. As they rolled across the grass trying to pin each other, it felt like I was being watched- no... stalked.

Within a minute or two, my head was spinning. I looked around the rest of the forest from my hiding spot in some attempt to figure out what was bugging me. I had reason to be wary after my past experiences.

Eventually I mentally slapped myself. I was just being too careful. When I turned back to the campfire, the Pig had sat back down while the new killer looked to be tired from their little battle.

Just as I started to settle down again, the sound of metal shimmering made my heart skip a beat. I twisted around to see a kitchen blade held up high and a white emotionless mask staring me down. Michael.

I raised an arm to block the downward slash of the knife. It hit the flesh and slashed clean through it, leaving a deep bloody wound and I found myself unable to hold my scream in as I tumbled backwards from the spot I was hiding.

Surely I had been seen by now. I was very visibly laid out across the fire illuminated grass as Michael stepped out from the forest and stood above me. How had he snuck up on me again?