Chapter 22

You laid out across a log like a tired sloth. The killer's camp was anything but quiet tonight. From the moment you returned from the trial, everyone was talking. It was the most killers you'd seen at the camp at once.

It did nothing to help you think. What were you thinking about? What weren't you...

The fact Jill had nearly revealed your identity was a real shake up. And as much as you didn't want to go back to face her as a survivor, you knew the longer you stayed away, the more suspicious you became.

Maybe going back would be better than staying here. Around you were dozens of forms. Evan, Philip. Sally, Rin, Kazan, Ji-Woon, Caleb, Frank and his gang, Freddy, along with a new woman you hadn't met before.

The woman was uncomfortably tall and it didn't fit her posture at all. Her hands were made out of some inky black abyss and her eyes reflected the same colour. She stood with Sally, making bird like chitters as her head clicked side to side.

"Hey." A voice called. You lazily glanced further down the log to see Joey standing there. If you weren't so drained, you'd have made a humorous quip.

"What's up?" You groaned, lifting your head up and snorting as you blinked your eyes a few times.

"You look like you've had a hard day." Joey noted, sitting down on the ground as he didn't want to make you move for him. You sighed, rolling onto your back even if it was uncomfortable against the bark.

"A survivor friend nearly figured out who I was." You told him lowly.

"Which one?" Joey asked.

"Jill. Jill Valentine." You answered, pinching the bridge of your nose.

"Oh, her. Yeah, it's probably good if she didn't manage to. I heard she can be very tough at times." Joey patted his hands against his legs in a rhythm.

"You heard?" You raised an eyebrow, curious to how he knew so. Joey scratched his neck, showing the subject was a curious one as he glanced over at the other three members of the Legion.

"Well... She punched Susie." Joey's voice creaked as he almost smirked at how he remembered the day. Seeing Susie angry wasn't as rare as one might think. But seeing Susie in a rage was quite a sight.

"Why does that not amaze me." You tiredly rolled your eyes. If anyone was going to throw hands with a killer, it was either David or Jill.

"What happened anyway?" Joey asked, curious as to how the trial had gone. You just sighed as you recounted how things had gone in the end.

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" Leon asked nervously, making the final adjustments to the net he and Jill had constructed. It was made of the same rotten and dried rope found inside different realms.

Jill checked the trap was secured to a nearby tree, refusing to leave any room for error. Steve just watched the two as he laid against a separate stump. The entire idea was stupid, but he wanted to look out for them in case something went bad.

"Of course it is. Why? You scared?" Jill joked, backing off from the tree and looking for a good spot to hide nearby.

"No, it's just..." Leon trailed off, palming his face.

"It's just, it'd be great if you ran us through the plan again." Steve crossed his arms.

"Simple. The killer steps in the trap, they get pulled back against the tree and restrained. Then I can- I-I... mean we. We can unmask one of the killers." Jill explained, trying to play off her stutter with a stern face.