Chapter 19

"Rin?" You called out as you entered the killer's camp. You'd gotten back from the trial about 20 minutes ago, and after a long back and forth between where you were going, you had half convinced the others you were going for another stroll.

You were damn lucky Claire didn't follow you like the last time. Perhaps she wasn't a Nemesis whisperer like you. Speaking of which, when you arrived at the camp, there was only one person there: Nemesis. At least you thought that's what Claire called him.

He was stood, clenching one of his fists and staring at it. From first glance you thought he was weirdly interested in it. But after a harder look, it seemed like he was actually just lost in thought. To say how monstrous this thing looked, the idea it was as high functioning as you previously believed was terrifying.

When you called for Rin, Nemesis turned to look at you out of curiosity.

"Starrrrsss?" The creature dragged the word out, turning to fully face you.

"Hello... Nemesis?" You squinted and your voice slowly rose in pitch as you were still unsure about if that was truly his name. Luckily he seemed to notice and gave a small nod as if acknowledging his name.

"Well, that's good to know, I suppose." You thought. With a glance around the fire to double check it was just the two of you, a sigh left your mouth.

"Do you know where Rin is?" You asked.

"Stars..." Nemesis looked off towards one of the paths leading away from camp. It wasn't the one you took to get there, so you could only assume it was... it was... Shit, what was it? You could've sworn someone told you before.

He began storming off in that direction, shrugging his shoulder in a gesture you took as 'follow me'. And so you did. You followed the tyrant along the dry, dirt path in relative silence. The cold air did great at discomforting you, but not as much as walking alongside the behemoth of a creature that could probably kill you in one swing.

The further you walked, more branches of path diverged off to the sides. The odd thing was the signs held up at each path.

They were single planks of wood stabbed into the ground, except there were different things nailed into them.

On one was the damaged photo of four figures you couldn't quite make out. Coming from the path was icy cold wisps of air.

On your left was a letter stabbed into the wood. In the background you could've sworn you heard faint sirens echoing out like a call of doom.

Nemesis just walked past them all before finally stopping at one that held a hanging noose. It was looped limply around a nail and looked as if it would fall with one gust of wind.

"Staaaars." Nemesis pointed along the path, nodding to you. Guess that was the way to go.

Swatting down your fears, you patted the tyrant on his shoulder before beginning to walk down. "Thanks, buddy." You said a lot more cheery than you expected. Nemesis just repeated his single word vocabulary before turning and sauntering away.

After a minute or so of strolling down the path, the world seemed to bend and change shape around you. Where once was forest, a dusty yet sunny biome formed in its place. It didn't take long before you found yourself walking through what looked like an open exit gate and entering into a Wild West realm.

"I'm getting Rango vibes. Am I in the right place?" You mumbled. Had Nemesis directed you properly?

You walked through the tumbleweed ridden world, your eyes locking on what you assumed to be the main building. Once you got past what looked similar to shack (without a window or pallet) your eyes settled on a figure inside the building.