Chapter 27

"Fuck!" You exclaimed with a shrill sound of terror. You had been on the upper floor checking the rooms for one of the last four generators, but upon entering one of the rooms, you missed the fact there was a hole in the wood. Just like clockwork, you had fallen into it and descended down into what you presumed to be a kitchen.

This place was like a damn maze. You didn't know which way was which. With pain blossoming across your body, you just laid there on the ground for a few seconds and took a deep breath while reflecting on the trial.

Three generators were down already. So far, Claudette had been hooked twice. You and Mike had been thrown on once, while Sam was yet to join the team.

"That did not look like a soft landing." Mike's voice brought your attention back to the moment. He walked over from near the window. A generator was sat up against it, moving in a slow rhythm. The man gave out his hand and you groaned, looking him up and down before taking it.

"This place is a house of horrors." You muttered with a glance up at the hole you just tumbled down. Mike just shrugged in apparent agreement. He motioned you over to the gen as he walked back to it, so you followed.

"So. What happened before you woke up here?" You questioned, now more curious about his history after everything you'd seen so far. Earlier he had gone out of his way to attract the Wendigo to chase him rather than Claudette, actually impressing you quite a bit.

Mike began adjusting the wiring and tuning of the generator as he looked at you with a hum as he debated how to explain.

"How much time you got?" He joked, revealing it to be a long story.

"Until we get merked by that creepy son of a bitch." You answered, grabbing two blue wires and connecting them.

"Uh... So, me, Sam and six other friends came up to this lodge as sorta like a reunion. One of them: Josh. He owns the place." Mike began calmly, eyes twitching as he felt a flash of fatigue from how long the trial had been going on for. You were waiting for this seemingly nice story to go south.

"But, uh... Turns out he was pranking us as revenge because..." Mike trailed off.

"Because?" You waited eagerly for the next part.

"Well, a year prior, we pulled a prank on his sister, Hannah... and because of that, she ran off into the forest while his other sister followed. Then they were never seen again." Mike sighed, regretting his involvement in the situation. That wasn't... as bad as you were expecting, actually. But, oh no. No, you shouldn't have thought that before hearing the next part.

"Turns out Hannah ate her sister and became a Wendigo. Then she proceeded to try kill us all." Mike spoke nonchalantly, keeping his horror to himself. You just nodded to yourself. There it was. The usual horror vibes that seemed to follow anyone brought here... Well- most people brought here.

"That's definitely going up at the top of my 'weirdest backstories' list." You chuffed. Now to decide if it went above or below Ji-Woon's.

Just as the generator was about to come to life, another pinged in the distance. Suddenly a different one lit up in the distance of the lodge, and right on queue the Entity reached up with its unnerving and sharp claws, grabbing the generator and stopping you two from working.

"Ew! What the hell?" Mike exclaimed, stepping back in repulsion.

"The fuck?" You squinted. Was this some kind of perk? You hadn't seen anything like it except for that trial with Danny. This had happened whenever he lifted someone up, which was peculiar.

"Is that gonna stay like that?" Mike pointed at it.

"I don't know. Maybe the others are still unblocked." You hopped from one foot to another, speed walking out of the kitchen as Mike stayed where he was and stared at the thing.