9

Vormir, 2014

Clint and Natasha stare out the window of the ship and the baron planet. They both mentally and physically prepare for what's next.

" Wow... under different circumstances this would be totally awesome," Clint says.

They land the ship, and step out onto the sandy terrain. They walk... and walk... and walk through the vast hills of the planet. They make their way up the biggest mountain, both on high alert.

" I bet the raccoon didn't have to climb a mountain," Natasha says once they get to the top.

" Technically, he's not a raccoon, you know," Clint says.

" Oh, whatever. He eats garbage," She says.

" You're just grumpy that Lo's not here to poof you to the top," He chuckles.

" Welcome."

The voice makes them both turn around with their weapons, ready to fight.

They see a floating, ghost like figure with a long black hood.

" Natasha... daughter of Ivan. Clint... son of Edith."

Natasha slightly tenses, but they both take a few steps forward.

" Who are you?" Natasha asks.

" Consider me a guide... to you... and to all who seek the Soul Stone."

" Oh, good. You tell us where it is, then we'll be on our way," Natasha says.

The figure steps forward, allowing it's face to finally be revealed.

" If only it were that easy," The Red Skull says.

He guides them to the edge of the cliff, his cape floating in the cold, snowy wind.

" What you seek lies in front of you," Red Skull says as they peer over the edge of the cliff, " As does what you fear."

" The stone's down there," Natasha says.

" For one of you," Red Skull responds, " For the other... in order to take the stone, you must lose that which you love. An everlasting exchange. A soul for a soul."

Natasha and Clint share a look. They know they have only two options. And both options suck. 

Clint begins to pace back and forth as Natasha takes a seat and ponders. She rests her chin on her palm and stares off into the distance. Clint takes a more light hearted approach to the situation.

" How's it going?" Clint chuckles as he sees the Red Skull staring at him, then walks over to his friend, " Jesus... maybe he's making this shit up."

" No. I don't think so," Natasha says.

" Why? Cause he knew your daddy's name?" Clint asks.

" I didn't, " She says, " Thanos left here with the stone... without his daughter. That's not a coincidence."

" Yeah..." He sighs.

" Whatever it takes, " Natasha whispers to herself.

Clint gazes over to the edge of the cliff. In his mind, he knows what he needs to do. A sacrifice for him would be... nothing. Because he has nothing left to lose.

" Whatever it takes," Clint repeats.

Natasha looks up at him, then stands up to face him.

" If we don't get that stone... billions of people stay dead," She says.

" Then I guess we both know who it's gotta be," Clint sighs as he looks at the edge.

" I guess we do," Natasha says.

Clint grabs her hand, and he grabs his. As they look into each other's eyes, they feel like something is off. 

" I'm starting to think we mean different people, Natasha," He says.

" For the last five years, I've been trying to do one thing. Get to right here. That's all it's been about. Bringing everybody back," She says.

" No, don't you get all decent on me now."

" What, you think I wanna do it? I'm trying to save your life, you idiot."

" Yeah, well, I don't want you to. How's that? Natasha... you know what I've done. You know what I've become."

" Oh, I don't judge people on their worst mistakes."

" Maybe you should."

" You didn't."

They gaze into each other's eyes as the tears start to form. They both speak from the heart during what will be one of their final moments.

" You're a pain in my ass, you know that?" Clint asks.

Natasha nods.

They rest their foreheads on one another's and close their eyes. They breath deeply, trying their best to savor the moment.

" Okay," Clint says as he pulls back, " You win."

As they smile, Clint grabs her arm and knocks her legs so she falls to the ground.

" Tell my family I love 'em," He says.

Natasha grabs his shirt and flips him over so he's on the ground and she's standing up.

" You tell 'em yourself," She says, then shocks him with her widow bites.

Natasha tries to run to the edge, but Clint fires an arrow next to her. It explodes and knocks her off to the side. He throws his arrow to the side and runs to the edge. Natasha watches her friend jump up the cliff, and she instantly gets up. She jumps as well and grabs him, fires a grappling hook and attaches it to his hip. The rope ends, and right before she falls, Clint grabs her hand.

" Damn you," He says.

Clint tries to reach down and grab her with his other hand, but it's too far down to reach. Natasha looks down at the ground, then looks back up at Clint.

" Let me go," She says.

" No, please no," Clint says, " Lauren, Lo... she needs you."

" She already has her family... and yours will come back, " Natasha says, " It's okay."

" Please..." Clint pleads.

Natasha kicks off the rock and slips out of Clint's grasp. Clint cries out at the top of his lungs as she falls. He looks away before she hits the ground. Tears fall freely from his eyes at the loss of his best friend. Thunder rumbles through the air, and a light beams up the mountain and into the sky.

For a moment, Clint sees nothing.

The next thing he knows, he wakes up in a pool of water. He sits up and opens his hand, only to find the soul stone.

When he returns back to his time. he crashes. He drops down to his knees.

The others see this... but notice something different.

" Clint... where's Nat?" Lauren asks as she walks up to her friend.