29

As Lauren goes to fall asleep inside the Hex, nightmares ensue.

But they're not hers.

Lauren feels Wanda's pain. She dreams of the moment where Wanda lost the love of her life. She feels everything and nothing all at the same time.

And when she awakens, she's reminded of an all too familiar moment in her own past. The day she lost the love of her own life.

And how she too create a false reality to stay with him.

Lauren and Wanda are not as different as they may seem. They both share a great loss, and great power.

Lauren shakes off any thoughts of her dead husband, then looks down at her body to see new clothes to go with the new decade.

Meanwhile, S.W.O.R.D. is scrambling for answers. And Director Tyler Hayward has no problem pointing fingers.

" We are now assessing a clearer picture of this crisis. And thanks to Captain Rambeau, we now have first person intel from inside the Westview Anomaly. Our initial theory had Wanda Maximoff as one of many victims. We now know she is the principle victimizer, along side former S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent Lauren Rogers."

" To be clear, we are unsure of Mage's role within the Westview anomaly," Jimmy corrects, then clears his throat, " Quick history on our subjects, born in Italy in 1984 to unknown parents, Lauren Stone was raised in Russia and trained in the Widow program lead by the late General Dreykov where they created a drug to subdue her powers of unknown origin. She left the KGB for S.H.I.E.L.D. and became an Avenger. She is the widow of Captain Rogers and has... well, a lot of powers. She really likes fireballs. Born in Sokovia in 1989 to Irina and Oleg Maximoff, both killed during an air raid when Maximoff and her twin brother, Pietro, were ten."

" The twins were subsequently radicalized, volunteering at HYDRA, the very same organization that had ties to Agent Rogers' upbringing," Hayward says.

" It's an oversimplification of events, but, yes, " Jimmy says, " After unspecified experimentation with the Mind Stone, Maximoff gained telekinetic and telepathic abilities."

" And earliest tracking had her using her powers against the Avengers. Is that correct?" Hayward asks.

" Right, before she earned their trust and became one herself," Jimmy says.

" Lagos and Germany, Budapest and Sao Paolo, we all know how those turned out. Now that we have the lay of the land, let's talk strategy. It is our policy to not negotiate with terrorists."

His choice of words shock the room, but none more than Captain Rambeau herself.

" Wanda's not a terrorist," She says.

" By your own account, you described the experience of being under her mind control as excruciating, terrifying, a violation," Hayward says.

" My point is, I don't believe she has a political agenda or any inclination towards destruction," Monica says.