23

No matter how badly Lauren wanted to keep her husband, she respected his wishes.

Steve's health is beginning to decline, and his time is soon coming.

And Lauren doesn't dare leave his side.

She's there to take care of him.

No matter what.

She lays with him on the bed, listening to the radio and the sun shines into their bedroom. 

Steve looks up at the ceiling with a smile on his face.

An all too familiar song comes on the radio, and Lauren smiles as well.

Steve closes his eyes as his ears as blessed with their favorite song.

The song they've carried with them throughout the decades.

Lauren turns her head to look at her husband.

She sees his eyes are still closed.

She props herself up on her elbow to look at him even closer.

She places two fingers on his wrist, but feels no pulse.

She places her fingers beneath his nose, but feels no breath.

In that moment, all feels lost.

Lauren's eyes fill up to the brim with tears as she looks down at her husband.

She looks down at his body laying ever so still, knowing his eyes will not open.

She takes a shaky inhale, then slowly leans down to place a gently kiss on his wrinkled lips.

When she pulls away, she sees her tear on his cheek, so she gently wipes it away.

She looks down at her husband and gently combs his grey and white hair out of his face.

The rest of the day, she doesn't move.

Lauren lays beside her husband until the next morning.

She hoped it was a dream, but it's all too real.

She makes one call, and within a few hours, Bucky arrives at the house.

He walks in to see Lauren sitting cris cross on her bed staring down at her husband.

She doesn't lift her head up to see who walked in, just continues to stare.

Bucky's eyes tear up at the site of his best friend laying there still.

He walks up to the bed and places his flesh hand on Lauren's shoulder.

She puts her hand over his, signaling that she appreciates the gesture.

The two stay like this for a few hours.

Bucky offers out his hand for Lauren to take, and she takes it.

He leads her down the stairs and into the kitchen.

He makes them each a cup of tea.

They walk out to the porch and sit down on the steps.

No words are spoken.

They just simply look out to the street.

They watch the wind blow through the trees and the people walk down the street.

They sip their tea together and they process the loss of the most important person in both of their lives.

Bucky looks over to the women.

He sees her unblinking eyes.

He sees her staring off into space.

He sees the tears threatening to fall.

Bucky scoots closer to her and wraps an arm around her.

Lauren rests her head on his shoulder and her tears fall into his lap.

He kisses the top of her head as he tries to stop his own tears from falling on her head.

They both know they need to tell Sam, but want to stay in this moment.

Bucky stands up and goes into the kitchen.

He calls Sam and breaks the news to him.

Since Sam is with his family in New Orleans, it'll take him a while to get there.

Bucky starts cooking, and prepares a meal for two.

He sets the dining room table, and then guides Lauren inside.

As she sits at the table, Lauren looks down at her food with no desire to eat.

All she can think about it what she has lost.

She's lost her husband.

She's lost the love of her life.

She's lost her Steve.

She's lost her forever and ever.