42

People who claim that they're evil are usually no worse than the rest of us... It's people who claim that they're good, or any way better than the rest of us, that you have to be wary of.

The books only quench her thirst for so long.

By now, she's well versed in all the theories, but she longs for truth.

She longs for more.

More knowledge.

More power.

The trail of bodies she leaves in her wake only continues to grow, and it catches the attention of the authorities.

She could only get away with so much.

Being the wife of Captain America would only get her so far.

Her pardon is worthless.

It's inconsequential.

They're out for her head.

The United States Government.

S.W.O.R.D.

Department of Damage Control.

Nearly every agency in the world is hunting for the KGB assassin and witch known as Mage.

However, they have no leads.

No information.

No motive.

Nothing.

They know where she's been, but never where she is.

They're always too little, too late.

They know that they'll never find her.

But they won't stop looking.

And yet, she goes on with her quest.

They barely even register as a threat in her mind.

She's preoccupied.

Busy with obtaining more power.

More knowledge.

More.

She stands on her two feet, nearly aching, but not quite. Her eyes bore into the reflective surface in front of her as her reflection stares back, revealing her long, sleek pitch black hair, skin that's lost its natural tan and glow, skin that's becoming increasingly more pale, and eyes... eyes that have lost their spark. Eyes that seem to be void of humanity. Eyes that resemble her soul... dark and desolate.

" Mirror mirror on the wall... show me that which I desire most."

Her reflection fades away as the mirror changes its density. It acts like water as it ripples and shows Lauren exactly what she wants.

Steve.

The only thing she truly wants.

The one thing that's kept her going all this time.

A broken smile forms on her lips as she sees him. His perfect blue eyes, large, broad shoulders and beautiful blonde hair. Her face trembles as she reaches out to touch him, but soon retracts once she's reminded of the boundary between them. The temporary boundary.

Steve soon fades away, bringing her reflection back to her eyes. Tears prickle her practically sunken in eyes as she sucks in her lips, biting down hard to stop the tears from falling. Her eyes shut tightly as she does her absolute best to not feel her feelings.

But she can't.

For her feelings are exactly what brought her here.

Her sadness.