38

" Do you believe you've improved since our previous session?"

The one question she's been dreading for ages.

Lauren sits on the couch in her therapist's office, her finger nails digging into to soft upholstery. She inhales deeply through her nose as her eyes flicker up to meet the woman in front of her.

" No."

" And why do you think that is?"

Lauren remains still. Her eyes stay locked on Dr. Raynor. Her breath stills, her mind rolling through thoughts while her mouth refuses to voice even a single one.

" Why did you assault Captain Walker?"

And with that, she scoffs.

Captain.

The word sits in her brain like a parasite.

" He didn't press charges," Lauren announces, " I don't see the issue."

" The issue is you assaulted an active duty member of the United Stated military," Dr. Raynor says, " The government was only willing to overlook your history because of your relations to Captain Rogers... but it won't save you every time."

Lauren's breathing remains calm, almost as if she's asleep, but her eyes stay focused on their target, as if she's hunting. As her fingers curl into the arm rest, the material around her begins to turn to black as a gentle firm ignites along her fingertips.

" Mrs. Rogers... are you currently using your powers?"

" No."

" Then show me your hand."

Without hesitation, she does exactly that. Lauren shows the doctor her left hand, her barren left hand with no sign of a flame. Dr. Raynor looks down to couch to see there's nothing wrong with it. No scorch marks. Nothing.

And while it appears that her hand is stretched outwards, in reality, in never left the couch. It still remains on the armrest burning a hole into the Ikea collection.

" Do you believe you have a purpose in life?"

The one question that makes her blink for the first time since the session started.

She blinks again, and yet keeps the rest of her body still in its place.

" Excuse me?" Lauren asks.

" Since the passing of your husband... what have you done with your life?" Dr. Raynor asks, " Do you believe you have a purpose in life?" Lauren's jaw tightens, " You no longer have S.H.I.E.L.D.... or the Avengers. For the first time in your life, you are no longer surrounded by other people. You are no longer part of a team... so I'm asking you... do you believe you have a purpose in life?"

She blinks once more, her body which was was tense and on guard slowly begins to seep into the plush pillows of the couch as her mind ponders the question.

A question she doesn't care for, but a question she does not have an answer for.

All while she thinks, her eyes stay locked on Dr. Raynor's. She reaches within the depths of her powerful mind in order to draw up something, anything that would absolve her of this question and get it out of the way.

But she can't.

She can't come up with anything.

She once had Natasha, where she was a sister. That's gone.

She once had S.H.I.E.L.D., where she was Agent Stone. That's gone.

She once had the Avengers, where she was Mage. That's gone.