32

For six long months, she lived in peace. In silence. In solitude. In her Manhattan apartment.

Everything was fine.

Everything was okay.

Up until she was asked to speak at a ceremony for Captain America, for the people want to hear from his wife.

They said the mantle of Captain America was to be retired, and so would his shield that is now in the possession of Sam.

She wants to say no, with everything in her being, she wants to say no.

But, alas, Steve's voice rings in her mind, and she's reminded of what he stood for. Not only Captain America, but Steve Rogers.

With a sigh, she accepts the offer.

She got assigned a different therapist, and has her appointment the day after the ceremony.

In Washington D.C., she stands in the nation's capital as she listens to Sam deliver his speech.

" Steve represented the best in all of us. Courageous, righteous, hopeful. And he mastered posing stoically. The world has been forever changed. A few months ago, billions of people reappeared after five years away, sending the world into turmoil. We need new heroes. Ones suited for the times we're in. Symbols... are nothing without the women and men that give them meaning. And this thing... I don't know if there's ever been a greater symbol. But it's more about the man who propped it up... and he's gone. So, today we honor Steve's legacy. But also, we look into the future. So, thank you Captain America. But this belongs to you. And now, I would like to invite a very special person to come up and say a few words. Lauren, if you will."

And she does. Lauren makes her way up onto the stage with a round of applause filling the air. She stands at the podium and sees all the eyes staring back at her.

 She stands at the podium and sees all the eyes staring back at her

" Before the Battle of New York, Captain America was an idea. What he did for our country during the second world war was so incredible, people from all over the world tried to make another one... but there's only one Steve Rogers. Sure, you can throw another super soldier into the uniform and call him Captain America... but there will never be another Steve Rogers. Which is why, today, we hang up the shield for good... and say goodbye."

She finishes her speech with teary eyes as the room applauds once more. She and Sam both carry the shield to the display case where a man with white gloves puts it in the glass box where it should stay forever. As the shield is encapsulated, Lauren can only think of him... and this is her final goodbye. Goodbye to Steve Rogers. Goodbye to her husband. His memory will always be with her, but she wants to honor his words and move on. After all, he didn't want to be the thing holding her back.

After what seems like an endless amount of handshakes and thank you's, Lauren gets some alone time with her friends as they walk through the exhibit.