15

A promise is a promise.

And a promise is exactly what the fate of the universe rests on.

Bruce was able to repair the quantum tunnel, and the time finally came to return the stones.

Steve and Lauren would be the ones to return them. 

" Remember, you have to return the stones to the exact moment you got them or you're gonna open up a bunch of nasty realities," Bruce says as he opens up the briefcase containing the stones.

" Easy," Lauren says.

" Clip all the branches, " Steve says as he closes the briefcase.

" You know, I tried. When I had the gauntlet, the stones, I really tried to bring her back. I really miss her," Bruce says.

" Me too," Lauren responds.

They all miss the red head.

Sam and Bucky stand there with them in the woods, more so for moral support.

" You know, I could come with you guys, if you want," Sam offers.

" You're a good man, Sam," Steve says with a smile.

" But, we've got this," Lauren says.

Her husband then walks over to the former assassin, and the two life long best friends look each other in the eyes.

" Don't do anything stupid till I get back," Steve says.

" How can I? You're taking all the stupid with you," Bucky says.

The two share a hug, as if it were for the last time. Bucky looks over Steve's shoulder and locks eyes with Lauren. They smile at each other, and Lauren gives Bucky a nod. The married couple step onto the glass floor of the time machine. Lauren holds the briefcase while Steve holds Mjolnir. They suit up, and prepare to be thrown through time.

As Bruce powers up, Lauren and Steve look each other in the eyes. They take a deep breath.

" Forever and ever."

" Till death do us apart."

Bruce activates the time machine, and their mission begins. They go through time, and return the stones to every place and every time.

From New York.

To Asgard.

To Morag.

To Vormir.

One by one the stones return, finally clipping all the branches of the timeline.

But when it was time to go home, they didn't return to 2023. Instead, they went all the way back to the 1950's. They found a home together. And they decided to settle down.

Hand in hand, they walk into their new home together. Steve goes to turn on the radio, and an all too familiar song starts playing. When he turns his head back to his wife, he sees she's used her magic to change herself into a beautiful red dress.

 When he turns his head back to his wife, he sees she's used her magic to change herself into a beautiful red dress

As the song continues to play, Steve holds out his hand to Lauren. She gladly takes it, and he pulls her close to his chest. She rests her cheek on his chest, and he rests his chin on her head. The couple slowly dance back and forth to the music.

Steve can't help but tear up at this moment. He finally got his dance, and he got it with the right partner.

Lauren keeps a smile on her face, because she just might actually get her happy ending. She never thought this day would come.

Because...

It's been a long, long time.