14

Word quickly spread of the victory.

Word quickly spread off the loss, also.

All those who lost someone finally reunite after five long years.

And those who were lost reunite after what felt like a bad dream.

Many are gathered at the Stark lake house to pay their respects.

They sit inside in the living room, listening to a holographic projection Tony made before he died.

Pepper sits with her child in her lap with Happy right next to them. Lauren and Steve stand beside the couch, his arms wrapped around her waist. What's left of the Avengers scattered around the living room.

" Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn't always roll that way. Maybe this time. I'm hoping if you play this back... it's in celebration. I hope families are reunited. I hope we get it back. And something like a normal version of the planet has been restored. If there ever was such a thing. God, what a world. Universe, now. If you told me 10 years ago that we weren't alone... let alone to this extent, I mean, I wouldn't have been surprised but, come on, who new? The epic forces of darkness and light that have come into play. And for better or for worse, that's the reality Morgan's gonna have to find a way to grow up in. So, I thought I'd better record a little greeting in case of my untimely death. On my part. Not that death at any time isn't untimely. This time travel thing that we're gonna try and pull off tomorrow... it's got me scratching my head about the survivability. That's the thing. Then again, that's the hero gig, right? Part of the journey is the end. What am I even tripping for? Everything is gonna work out exactly the way it's supposed to. I love you 3,000."

With those final words, Pepper guides everyone outside. In her hands she holds a wreath with the very first arc reactor. On it are the words 'Proof That Tony Stark Has A Heart'. Pepper walks to the lake, kneels down on the grass and gently places the wreath in the water. She gives it a push and lets it float in the water. She gives a look to Lauren, who sniffles and then walks over to the edge of the water. 

From her pocket, Lauren takes out the iconic hourglass symbol that Natasha carried on her belt

From her pocket, Lauren takes out the iconic hourglass symbol that Natasha carried on her belt. With one final goodbye, Lauren pushes the symbol onto the water. It eventually catches up with Tony's wreath. When the two pieces bump into each other, Lauren exhales. With eyes full of tears, she walks back to her husband.

Everybody present watches the pieces float across the lake as they mourn

Everybody present watches the pieces float across the lake as they mourn. Everybody who fought, and those who didn't. 

They mourn the loss of two great heroes who made the ultimate sacrifice. They gave their lives in service of the greater good.

Soon, people begin to leave the lack. Eventually, it's only Clint, Lauren and Wanda sitting at the water's edge.

" You know, I wish there was a way that I could let her know. That we won. We did it," Clint says as tears fall down his cheeks.

" She knows... They both do," Wanda responds.

Lauren lets out a deep breath. She keeps her eyes on the water in front of her as she reaches down. With her left hand, she grabs Clint's hand, and with her right she grab's Wanda's. The hand holding then turns into a hug. They share the embrace. They have each other in this moment of loss.

Clint and Wanda soon walk away, leaving Lauren by herself.

After talking with Happy on the bench, Morgan decides to get up. She walks all the way down to the water's edge, and tugs on Lauren's pants. Lauren turns around and looks down at the child.

" My daddy said you were the strongest Avenger... is that true?" Morgan asks.

The words manage to make Lauren chuckle through the tears.

" No... your dad was the strongest," Lauren responds.

" Are you the Lauren daddy named me after?" Morgan asks.

Lauren pauses for a moment and tilts her head.

" What's your full name?"

" Morgan Hope Lauryna Stark."

Tears spill out of Lauren's eyes as she hears the name of the child. After all this time... Tony had named is own child after her. And she had no idea. Lauren bends down to pick up Morgan. She rests the child on her hip as she walks back to the lake house. On the way, she sees Steve sitting on the front porch. He looks at the two and smiles. Lauren walks inside the house and returns Morgan to her mother. She walks back outside and sits next to her husband on the bench. She rests her head on his shoulder and sighs.

Steve kisses the top of her head, then rests his head on top of hers. They sit there on the bench, gazing over at the water in front of them. They stay with each other in this moment, for they know the good moments never last long.