39

It is believed by some that mirrors are portals. Portals to other universes. Portals to the underworld. Countless superstitions exist from all around the world, and they're all true. Mirrors can be a dangerous thing.

Mage has covered all of the mirrors in her apartment in an attempt to drown out the noises. Even hidden behind the veil, the whispers continue.

She tries her best to just ignore them. To act as if they do not exist. As if they're not there.

And all while trying to forget about the whispers, she ends up forgetting about the real world and her responsibilities in it. Three consecutive knocks on her door draw her attention. Once more, she grabs her gun. She clicks the safety off and slowly approaches the door. She looks through the peephole and sighs. She reluctantly opens the door as she places the safety back on and shoves the gun into her jeans.

" Can I help you?" She asks, already annoyed by their presence.

" Ms. Rogers, it appears you missed a session with Dr. Raynor," The police officer announces.

" And?"

" Per your agreement with the government, sessions are mandatory," He says, " I'm gonna have to ask you to come with us."

Lauren tilts her head as her jaw tightens. The corner of her lip turns up to form a smirk, her eyes glances up at the officer. She takes the gun out of her jeans and places it on the table by the door. As she takes a few steps into the hall, she takes the time to look at all the officers. She sees the fear in their eyes as she stands still. She sees how their bodies shake and their foreheads sweat. She sees an officer take out a pair of handcuffs with trembling hands, so so cooperates. She puts her hands behind her back and waits. As he latches the metal cuffs around her wrists, she ignites a small flame on her pointer finger. The officer yelps and jumps back, and she simply smirks as the other officers draw their guns.

" Oh relax," Lauren says with an eye roll, " If I wanted to kill you, you'd be dead already."

She continues to comply with the officers as they guide her out of the building and into a squad car, gathering the attention of countless bystanders. She stares out the window as they drive her to the station, watching the ongoing traffic and the skyscrapers standing tall. The take her out of the car and walk her inside the station. The moment she walks in, all eyes lock on her, and everybody stops working. The only sound in the station is her heeled boots walking against the tiled floor as they walk her to a holding cell. Everybody watches as they open the cell door. Everybody watches as she walks inside. They lock the door behind her as she goes to sit on the bench. Her head slowly rolls up, her eyes gazing at those who let their curiosity get the best of them.

" Boo," Lauren says as her eyes flash gold, just for a moment.

The rest take the hint and get back to whatever it is they were doing or have to get done. She smirks to herself and leans her head back against the brick walls of the cell, closing her eyes to drown out the busy noises of the police station. Chatter goes on around her, but she pays absolutely no mind to it. She focuses on her breathing, allowing her mind and body to calm. It brings her the sense of peace she's been longing for. Her mind can be such a dark place, its truly a relief when it brings her peace inside of darkness.

This is far from her first time in a jail cell, and most likely will not be her last. Who knows how long this time will last, might as well try to make it enjoyable.

And while it appears that her mind is calm and centered on breathing, there is still a part that insists on being chaotic. A dark, small part of her brain that rests in the back of her head. It sits there, always trying to take up more mass, always trying to take control. And sometimes... it wins.