𝐛𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐫𝐮𝐥𝐞𝐬. (1)

SOOYEON

I was sitting in my house, reading my brother's book. I was not permitted to attend school because it was against the law in this village. My family and I live in a village that is completely different from the rest of the city here in Korea. We are not permitted to wear anything that reveals our curves; instead, we must cover our entire bodies. We are not allowed to learn or study. Women in this village are considered as objects; we are trained to only cook, clean, and reproduce, basically slaves for the men in this village and we can't do anything about it.

I could hear the footsteps of my parents as I quickly hid the book and fixed my posture as I pretended to shut my already completed sewing. The door opened as my dad furiously stepped into the room.

I stood up confused as I put the piece of cloth and needle in my hand down and asked a bit scared.

" What happened, father? "

As if he was looking for something, he began moving things around with my mother. I froze as he went under the bed and took out the book that I hid. Oh no...

"What is this"

my father asked sternly.

"uh... I-um.."

I stammered as I looked down. He came towards me and slapped me.

"YOU ARE A WOMAN. YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED TO TOUCH THIS. WHY DO YOU KEEP DISRESPECTING US."

He shouted as he kept hitting me while my mom just stood there and watched. She then shook her head before mumbling 'disgrace' as she exited the room. Years fell from my eyes as I tried not to make any sound as that would anger him more.

After hitting me a few more times, he spoke.

"get ready, the mayor's son is coming here. You will meet him so that you can get married we Will get a lot from it. "

I widened my eyes as he uttered the word marriage. I was shocked. Am I that useless that my family is marrying me off for money? I just nodded. I can't believe this, I need to stop this.

I did my hair and went downstairs, trying not to cry, after donning my most expensive hanbok. Downstairs I saw my own family. My parents were conversing with the mayor and his wife while my brother, Yeesul was talking with the mayor's son, Minhyuk. As soon as my mom saw me she smiled sweetly. So sweet that I will get cavities. She hugged me and whispered in my ears.

"you better not mess up."

She then brought me to the family as I bowed to them as they were the mayor of this village. They then started planning on my wedding.

"well, why don't we let Minhyuk and Sooyeon get to know each other. Sooyeon, take him to your room."

I could see him looking at me up and down while biting his lips. I was disgusted, nonetheless, I showed him to my room. As soon as he entered he came up to me and started pushing me to the bed and started to touch me. I quickly pushed him off and went to the living room being tired of everything I went in front of four adults as I started shouting.

"I'm not going to marry Minhyuk!"

The two couples looked at me with wide eyes, trying to comprehend what I was saying.

"I said I'm not marrying that asshole. So don't force me to!"

The mayor stood up and started to drag me outside. He then started calling people over. That's what he always does. When things don't go his way, he humiliates the person.

"People gathered her. See this lady? He pointed to me. This lady refused to Mary my son"

Gasps could be heard. I just looked down.

"As a punishment for not marrying my son, I shall banish you from this village for one year."

My eyes went wide. 1 year just because I didn't marry his son. I looked at my parents and Yeesul. They looked at me in pity. Angered, I spoke up.

"TWO YEARS JUST BECAUSE I DIDN'T MARRY YOUR SON??!"

The mayor rolled his eyes as he has spoken again.

"Since you raised your voice at me and disrespected me you are banished from this village for 5 years."

Not believing it anymore I just nodded. My family came towards me. My dad slapped at me while my mom started shouting at me. I didn't care as I started going to my house to pack my clothes. After packing my bags I was going out but my dad dragged me out of the village. It was after I was thrown that I eventually understood what was occurring.

After walking away from the village I knelt, bursting into tears. I reasoned that since it was late at night, no one would be here. But I was mistaken. I heard a distant sound and saw a car come to a halt alongside me. . As the guy looking down from the window gazed up at me, I looked up.

"Do you need help?"