Private Angel Log Entry Fifteen

This was it, all of our hard work and planning had finally paid off, and now the confrontation we had so carefully orchestrated was about to happen.

I thought I would feel something: guilt maybe, for causing what could turn into an all-out war, excitement over the fact that I would soon be reunited with Gerard, terror even, but no - I just felt numb.

I was extremely focused, like an arrow trained on its target, unwavering from what I knew I had to do. We had everything planned out, now we just had to hope that it all turned in our favor.

I could sense both of the armies quickly approaching from the east and west, we only had minutes until we had to be in our places directly between them, and my entire body was humming with energy.

"We should move now," Brendon spoke within my head since he was on the other side of the line, sharing some words with Ryan that hopefully wouldn't be their last.

I had tried to convince Ryan to let one of us stay behind to guard him, but he had refused, saying that he wouldn't allow us to waste a body protecting him when no one was going to bother with him anyway. I hoped he was correct, and I knew Brendon was worried about his close proximity to the impending battle, but the decision had already been made, and we couldn't change it now.

"It's time," I projected to all the angels that were gathered with us, knowing that the demons would follow when we began to move out. In a flurry of wings, we took to the air, landing in a shallow valley between two sand dunes. We would be visible to both sides, and even more importantly - they would be exposed on the hilltops, allowing us to instantly be aware if they attempted any sudden movements.

"Remember - if this goes south, we take off okay?" Brendon shouted out to our ragtag collection of angels and demons as he flew overhead. We had appointed him as our spokesperson, even though they had all wanted me to do it.

I didn't want that responsibility though, I needed to be unencumbered so I could focus all of my energy on rescuing Gerard. Brendon had been the main leader of this group of angels anyway, almost all of them knew him personally, and he carried the mantle of responsibility well.

While I waited for the other armies to appear, I allowed myself to marvel at what we had accomplished already. I would never have believed that I would see the day that angels and demons would fight side by side for the same cause, but now I was living it. We were changing the world, and I was grateful that I was a part of this.

"They're here," Brendon whispered as he touched down next to me, his hand clutching the hilt of his broadsword that was sheathed at his side. We had decided to keep our weapons away in the hopes that we wouldn't incite any unnecessary violence. All we needed to do was stall them long enough to free Gerard, not start a bloodbath we weren't prepared to finish.

I nodded to show Brendon that I had heard him, but my mind was elsewhere. I could feel Gerard's presence, he was drawing closer to me as we spoke, and he was all I could concentrate on right now.

Having him so close but still out of reach was pure torture. If everything went as planned, we would only be minutes away from reuniting, but that seemed like eternity right now. I ached to hold him, to kiss the lips that drove me insane, to apologize a thousand times over for ever letting him be kidnapped in the first place, but I couldn't do any of that - not yet.

It took all the self-control I possessed not to fly off right then and rip him out of Lucifer's grasp, but that would ruin our well thought out plan, and probably get us both killed in the process.

"You okay?" Brendon asked warily. I am sure some of my internal struggle was showing on my face, but I tried my best to tamp it down.

"Yeah - what about you?" I knew his mind was still back with Ryan, but he needed all of his wits about him if we were going to survive this.