Entry Fourteen: The World is Ugly

There is a bit of smut toward the end of this chapter, but I will block it off with *** so you can skip over it if you want. It won't impact the story in any way if you do.

Entry Fourteen: The World is Ugly

I am not sure how long Frank and I slept, but we were awoken by the smell of something cooking, and Mikey's off-key singing voice. He had whipped up some pancakes and eggs for breakfast, and my stomach growled loudly at the promise of food.

I couldn't remember the last time I had eaten, and now that we were on Earth, our bodies had begun to crave sustenance again like normal humans. I gently shook Frank to wake him up before Mikey could eat everything, he gave me a small smile when he opened his eyes, which melted my heart.

"Thanks for making breakfast Mikes," I told him gratefully once we had all eaten our fill.

"I thought you two might be hungry, and you slept for ages, so I got bored and messed around in the kitchen. Where are we anyway Frank?"

"This is my private townhouse, I bought it years ago for when I wanted to have some seclusion, but it hasn't seen much use since I have been so busy in Heaven. No one else knows I own it, so I thought it would be a good place for Gerard to heal up. We probably shouldn't stay here for too long though because it has my scent all over it."

"Where are we going to go next?" I asked nervously.

"Well I found quite a few locations where I am pretty sure we will be safe. We will have to lay low for a while until the hunters are called off...I don't know how long they will continue searching for us, but better safe than sorry. Once we are in the clear, I was thinking we could just pass as humans and live normal lives. We would have to move around every now and then, so people don't get suspicious when they realize that we don't age, but it wouldn't be too bad a life."

"Are you going to stay with us Frank? Gerard said you were going to go back to Heaven." Mikey chirped in.

"I can't go back now...one of the archangels found out that I was seeing Gerard, so now I am a renegade." A pained expression flitted across Frank's face, but it was gone as quickly as it had come.

"How did they find out?" I questioned softly.

"Well let me start at the beginning..." Frank started to speak, but I couldn't concentrate on his words...I felt so guilty that Frank had been kicked out of Heaven all because of me...I knew what we were doing was wrong, but I had pushed it to the back of my mind because I was enjoying our time together so much. I had never truly considered how severe the consequences would be for Frank, and I felt awful for dragging him down with me.

I tuned back in to what Frank was saying, and my mouth slowly dropped open as he explained to us everything that had happened since we had parted last. He began by filling Mikey and I in on the fragile state that Heaven had fallen into recently, how less people were eliciting to be angels, and that the ranks were steadily shrinking. He told us how the archangels had been gaining more power recently, and that God hadn't been seen by anyone he knew in months.

He painted us a picture of his insecurities and doubts, and how meeting me had made him truly reconsider what Heaven stood for. Frank went on and on about a hidden prophecy that he was convinced had something to do with why everything in Heaven had been so strange lately, but I didn't really understand most of it. When he began to recount how he had been discovered, and his following flight from Heaven, my stomach twisted as I imagined him being alone and afraid for weeks...unable to return to us without risking exposing our location and fearing death at every moment.

"...and you know the rest. I finally shook off my pursuers, and I was searching for you, when I heard Gerard calling for me to save Mikey. I flew as fast as I could, but even then, I was almost too late." Frank's voice cracked as memories from that day resurfaced. I immediately got up from the table and pulled Frank into a bone crushing hug.