1💕

Adezai village

Peshawar, Pakistan

In between the houses made of bricks, clay or mud, cattle were jumping on the boulevards. Boys were playing with marbles on the roads.

Small girls were playing Stapoo and jumping ropes in the streets or courtyard of their homes. Old men were sitting on the cots outside their houses, busy in smoking hookahs Women were busy in their respective domestic chores, and handling their children.

Everyone was busy in their respective works without thinking about her fever which was increasing by every passing hour.

"Hareem... Hareem... Kaha mar gayi..."

The seventeen years old girl had just rested her head on the pillow but that loud call made her aware that might have done something wrong. Placing the corner of her petered out cotton dupatta she stood up with shivering legs and made her way towards the big room.

"Ji begum sahab?" she asked in her weak voice

(Yeah Marm)

"Khane me namak kam hai... Dhyaan kaha rehta hai tera?" She looked down on that scolding and moved towards kitchen to bring Salt saucer

(There is less salt in the food... why you don't work carefully)

"Kapde dhoo diye?" The Honorable lady of Niyazi family asked When Hareem placed the salt on the dastarkhwan, she shook her head with lower gaze and two tears appeared in her eyes.

(Have you washed clothes?)

"Ye to hamesha ki kaamchor hai" Someone of the Niyazi family, which was composed of some fifteen members, commented with anger and Hareem wished that this time her fever took away her soul from her frame but Allah wasn't answering her this prayer since childhood.

(She is an idle since ever)

"Jaa kar kapde dhoo, aur phir ye bartan bhi dhoo dena" The second most important lady of the Niyazi family ordered and Hareem dared to look towards the only soft-hearted person of that family.

The middle-aged lady; Jameela Begum. She was the unmarried daughter of the Niyazi family but unfortunately she didn't have power in front of her two elder brothers and their wives to take stand for herself as well as Poor Hareem.

"Hareem tumne khana khaya?" Jameela Begum asked. Hareem shook her head and informed about her fever.

(Hareem, haven't you had your lunch?)

"Jaao, jaa kar mere kamre se dawai le lo, aur khana kha kar kuch deer aaram kar lo" Jameela Begum ordered Hareem and she left the big dining room after a nod.

(Go, take medicine from my room, and take some rest after having meal)

"Jameela tum kyu is ladki ko itna sar par sawaar karke rakhti ho? Allah Jaane Kiska gunah hai ye" The elder Niyazi brother asked with anger and Jameela Begum jerked her head while lifting the next morsel. The poor lady knew that her reply wouldn't affect anyone so she stayed silent.

(Jameela, why do you always favour this girl? We don't even know whose sin is she) ==============

Hareem was lying on the bed which was not a bed but only a sheet spread on the floor of that hot and dark storeroom.

"How is your fever now?" Coming inside the storeroom Jameela Begum asked and Hareem opened her eyes.

"Phuppo saheba," Hareem uttered with a sad smile. The old lady sat beside her and touched her forehead. "Now your fever is fine," she said and Hareem nodded.