Chapter 29

"Come sit." Mrs Underwood gestured towards a brown sofa tucked away in the little corner nearest to the door.

We all obliged and sat down silently one by one, the leather crackling slightly under our bodies.

"Well...that was interesting." She sat down on a wooden chair in front of us. "In all my life, I've never seen such a thing happen before. However, there have been stories of such happenings in the supernatural world."

Questions flew out of our mouths instantaneously, each of us clamouring to be heard first.

"What happenings?"

"You've heard of it?"

"I want a cheeseburger."

We all turned around and gave a 'seriously?' kind of look to Logan, who shrugged innocently.

"Questions later. There'll be time to answer all of them. Hopefully. See, when I was a young teenager, around 18, I graduated from Mystique Academy and was offered a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity."

"The Leaders then had chosen me to be the personal apprentice for the Water Element. Each Leader, except the Supreme Leader and the Life Leader, each had to hand-pick a disciple to teach and help them reach their full potential."

"I had the honour of being chosen, along with 5 other lucky ones. So the Leaders trained us, and we developed a close relationship with them, to the point where we became friends of sorts."

"A year after I joined the Leaders' Court, rumours about a certain event started spreading. The tale was that a young lady, not more than 25 years of age, had gone crazy and starting wrecking havoc among the whole supernatural world."

"She was an Electric and she used her powers for bad instead of good. She went around committing crimes, killing innocent people, damaging property. And get this, the exact same thing is happening to your friend over there. The eye colour change, the insane screaming, attempts to kill, everything is identical to what had happened back then."

"There was a world-wide hunt, Elementals even going so far as to go check the mortal world. After a long time, the rabid Electric was finally caught, with much difficulty. The Leaders tried helping her, Fayre, the Life Leader, even resorted to healing her, but nothing would work. So, they had no choice but to..."

Everyone was shocked at Mrs Underwood's words. Even though she didn't finish her sentence, I had a feeling that we all knew exactly what she was implying.

"Not only that, there was actually more cases of this. One before the Electric, and several more after, all in a short time span of around 2 months."

All of us were quiet as we digested this piece of information. "But now," I finally broke the long silence by piping up. "Is there any way we can help Liam?"

Mrs Underwood folded her hands together on her lap, looking very dignified and important. "I can't answer that. Not that I don't want to, but I can't because I have never personally dealt with this kind of situation before."

"Although, I might know what is happening. The Water Leader, Sandon, he told me his suspicions and theories about this."

"There are 8 Elements and they are normally arranged in a particular order: Light, Electricity, Nature, Water, Ice, Fire, Air and last of all, Life." She ticked them off on her fingers.

"This arrangement was based on what people typically thought was the scale of importance of each Element. In actual fact, the first Leaders made this because of their usefulness of their powers. Light can be stronger than Water, Ice can beat Fire. All Elements are equal, they're stronger and weaker only in different aspects."

"Anyways, Sandon did a fair bit of researching and he made an extrodinary finding. He compared all reports and be found that the Elementals suffering from this sudden attack were all in this order. Light, Electricity, Nature, Water, Ice, Fire, Air."

"So, Sandon's idea was that someone had started controlling these people's minds, to drive them nearly to the edge of insanity and make them capable do unspeakable things. They lost nearly all of their humanity and took on animal-like qualities. However, no matter how much effort Sandon put into solving this mystery, the answer to this phenomenon has never been found."

"Oh wow," Rachel spoke up. "Is that all? Is that what happened in the past?"

Mrs Underwood shook her head. "We've just only talked about the past; we haven't discussed the present yet."

"This morning, a student approached me. His friend was actually going through the same thing as Liam right now. And plus, he was also a Light."

"What?" Flynn widened his eyes. "Well, where is he now? No one was here when we came in."

"Yes, he was transported to the hospital for a check-up. Doctors are puzzled over this. I just finished a conversation with one of them before you came."

"Then, how is he?" Daniel leaned foward.

"He's not doing so well currently. From what I've heard, he's being bed-bound with restraints all over his body and being givem sedatives every 30 minutes." Mrs Underwood looked deeply saddened.

"So, if Sandon's theory is right, that would mean the Light Elementals are being...possessed? And the Electrics will be next?" Logan questioned, looking pretty worried for himself, like he didn't want to believe it.

Mrs Underwood nodded gravely.

"Oh my God!" I shot up from my seat on the couch abruptly. "Lily! She's at home right now! Who knows what she's doing!"

"Oh shit. Sorry Mrs Underwood, we have to go know. Any last words of advice?" Noah asked, in a rush to go check on Lily.

"That's all I know. I'm sorry I can't help you more, but there's someone else you can ask for help from. Someone who knows a lot more than me."

"Who?"

Mrs Underwood looked at all of us in the eye. "Sara Nicholson. She held a high position in the Court as well. Being the spokesperson for all the Leaders, she was trusted with many secrets and formed good relationships with the Leaders. They deemed her as reliable and rewarded her greatly."

"Wait...Principal Nicholson is an Electric...which means..." Aurelia trailed off, as we all came to a earth-shattering realisation at the same time.

"She's next."