Chapter 34

Rachel:

My eyes flew open as my body lurched violently upwards of it's own will. Gasping for air, my hand shot to my chest as I tried to calm myself down. Feeling my heart beat rapidly under my cold and clammy palm, I focused on the gradually slowing pulse. Ba dum. Ba dum. Ba dum.

Closing my eyes tiredly, vivid scenes from the nightmare I had earlier started playing again in my head.

It never seemed to go away, no matter how hard I tried to dispell it.

Sighing, I brushed a piece of dark hair back, the messy strands damp from my sweat.

Looking next to me, I saw my friends all still sleeping soundly. Logan was snoring loudly and actually had a dribble of drool at the corner of his open mouth.

I held back a very un-womanly snort so as to not wake the others up. Grabbing ny phone from my backpack and tapping in the passcode, I quickly snapped a photo of it from the growing light coming from outside.

I smirked widely at the photo of Logan on the small screen. This might come in handy one day if I ever needed to threaten him.

I checked the time on the digital clock. 6.13 a.m. Locking my phone and stuffing it back into my bag, I turned my gaze outside. I stretched my legs out on the floor and stared at the slowly brightening sight as my attention turned to my previous dream.

When would it ever go away?

Suddenly, a branch cracked as a voice swore. I froze and my hand immediately went for the small knife I kept tucked in the unzipped front pocket of my bag.

Silently sitting, I observed as a dark silhouette came into clearer view. "Shit, I'm so dumb." The voice muttered unhappily.

I relaxed almost at once and I let go of the knife. A small smile tugged at my lips. I'd recognise that voice anywhere.

Standing up and brushing off some dirt off my jeans, I walked outside the hut to see Noah sitting on the grass and drawing something with a half-broken stick.

"Hey," I sat down next to him.

He look a tad bit startled, before realising it was me and let out a sigh of relief. "Oh, it's you. Hi Rachel. Couldn't sleep?"

"Something like that," I said. "Woke up and couldn't go back to sleep."

"Ah, I see."

An awkward silence passed between us. I looked up at the sky, coloured with a beautiful black-orange ombre with fading stars and almost rising sun.

"Nightmare?"

I snapped out of my reverie at the sound of his voice. "What?" I asked, confused.

"Did you have a nightmare?" He asked, poking at the soil with the twig.

"I...how'd you know?"

"I just do," Noah shrugged. "You wanna talk about it?"

Did Noah James just offer to talk with me about my dreams?

"It might help, you know?" He added, seeing the look of disbelief on my face.

"Um, I'm...I don't think...it'll help." I fiddled with ny fingers nervously.

"Why not?" He drew a question mark in the ground.

"Uh...it's not really something I'd talk about to someone else, to be honest." I looked down, shifting my feet around uneasily.

"I won't tell. Trust me."

I pursed my lips and continued staring at the ground like it was the most interesting thing ever invented.